Roman Polanski freed, Swiss reject US request for extradition, WHY?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-movies/20100712/Roman.Polanski/

They said the US failed to give them confidential testimony (the LA Attorney refused the request)

Why would they refuse it??

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Those records would prove whether or not Polanski was assured by the judge that the time he spent in a psych unit would constitute his entire sentence. If the judge DID tell Polanski this, then he's served the time he was given. (Which I am going to assume is exactly what the judge said, and is why LA DA won't give it up) If he's served his time, there's no cause for extradition.
    If the US just played above board, the Swiss likely would have sent him back. But we, as usual, tried to manipulate the situation, and we get nothing out of it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• wow this is sad and they tried for years to get him...
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• After all that time and now this. WTH! I guess there's no real evidence to keep him locked up.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm gonna assume the circus was carefully orchestrated to gain international attention and try to pressure the Swiss into sending him back without the evidence they KNEW from the get go they were gonna be asked for. I can only speculate that the plan was to scrap the original plea (since Polanski fled, it may well have invalidated the plea) and retry him under the new, harsher rules. When this happened, what Polanski did was a high misdemeanor, I think. He would have received less then a year incarceration, even without the plea deal. Under the new laws he could be sentenced to up to 5 years, have to register as a sex offender, and stay in the state. I wonder if the plan was to get him back so he would start making movies in Hollywood again...(cause The Ninth Gate was SOOOO good and Hollywood really missed the boat on that one )
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree with Jenny, they were hoping that public opinion would outweigh the law, as it does here so many times. The Swiss didn't succumb to it. The US has mishandled this since the beginning, and now, they have officially let him slip through their fingers and they have no one to blame but themselves.

It occurred to me that I am saying the US as them, and really I should have been saying us.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• jenny,

That's what I am thinking...so why the circus then? How many millions spent, just so the LA attorney can REFUSE crucial evidence?? What a WASTE

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Because apparently, they don't think there is anything wrong with drugging and raping a child and fleeing prosecution. Pigs.
    GOluvvie

Answer by GOluvvie at 10:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If he had just turned himself in to do his staggering 45 days in jail in 1972, this wouldn't be an issue now. He plead was guilty but he didn't want to be punished. And he still won't be punished.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Who knows, maye they just want to knock Obama down another peg. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• LOL..How sad, your obsession with our President leads you to AGAIN insert him when he has NOTHING to do witrh it....The LA Attorney failed to COMPLY with a LEGAL request

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010