Why do people see Atheism as so awful?

Esp when it doesn't affect them personally what other do in their lives?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because if everyone is like them,it backs their beliefs. If someone is a non believer,they may question their own belief system.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• People fear what they don't understand.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't particularly, I think everyone should believe what makes the most sense to them and what makes them happy and fulfilled. However, could easily turn this question around, why do Atheists see religion as so awful? Granted, the vast ajority of Atheists couldn't care less (but also the vast majority of religious people coudln't care less about Atheists) but there's an outspoken minority (just as there's an outspoken religious minority) that's pretty hostile to any form of religion. Why? Why are some Atheists so bothered that I keep Shabbath and kosher and believe in G-d and go to the synagogue when it doens't affect them? Why do they have to constantly tell me how brainless and illogical I am because I believe in G-d?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it's because they have nothing better to do with their lives.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think most people feel as if they need something greater than themselves - Be it God or simply something Higher. And for many people not having that in their lives would really depress them or leave them feeling without purpose. For those people, Atheism seems empty and depressing. I'm far from Atheistic in my beliefs, and I personally don't understand how anyone could look around and honestly not believe in something higher - BUT, I also understand that you don't need to share my beliefs to be happy and healthy! IF your beliefs didn't fit for you or didn't make you feel happy, healthy & fulfilled, you wouldn't have those beliefs, you'd be looking for others. I don't get how anyone can be arrogant enough to decide that just because someone is of a different belief they are wrong, unhealthy, unhappy or whatever... It's pure arrogance combined with good old fashioned ignorance!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Who said Atheism is so awful?

God gave us freedom of choice.

If people are good and kind and hard working they are doing what God wants us to do, they will go to heaven.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It questions their faith. People who believe don't like to have their faith questioned, because then there's a possibility that it may not exist. It shouldn't matter to them, just as Athiest shouldn't be concerned with what religious people believe. It doesn't have anything to do with your individual faith when someone doesn't believe what you do. It doesn't question your faith, it doesn't weaken your faith. All it does is show there are individuals who believe differently. That's what makes up this world .. Difference. We should all accept that for what it is.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Because ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds anger!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't understand the animosity toward atheism. The atheists I know, some being friends, are some of the most intelligent, logical, witty, and caring people I know. As for having crappy personalities, no religion (or lack there of) holds the title on that one. Crappy personalities come from all walk of life.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have been told (by my mother's husband-not my dad) that I can't possibly be moral if I do not go sit in a church and have a preacher tell me how.
    I know that there are other's who msut believe the same as he does...
    so basically, there are people who think that without God- we can't possibly be good people since we have no morals

*along with some of the other things that have been mentioned
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2010