dd and worms TMI

my 2yr old dd went swimming in a lake yesterday and all was fine. I changed her diaper and it was perfectly normal. This morning I changed her diaper and there were these worm like things on her. What should I do? I am so embarrassed that this has happened and I have no idea how it happened. Everything was normal after the lake, except for this last diaper! My df doesnt get home from work until 3 and I have no way to take her to the doctors today, what should I do and how could this happen? I feel horrible. Also my other dd went swimming too and her diapers are normal. PLEASE help and please dont judge.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call you ped, RIGHT NOW! If you have no transport tell your ped that and ask what you should do. Should you call an ambulance? Ask them that.
    Call4me

Answer by Call4me at 10:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Google pin worms and see if that is what you saw.. It is common for children to get them and they can get them from running their finger across a dusty car and putting their fingers in their mouth.. They can get it from playing in dirt etc.. They sell medication over the counter to get rid of them if they are pin worms and you will need to treat the whole family.. They are transferred from hand to mouth.. Teach her good hand washing.. Always call the ped to be sure they are pin worms and the medication is safe to give for her age..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Call your doctor's office and tell them what you have said here. If it is an intestinal thing your whole family can take pills and it is an easy thing to deal with. (whole family gets treated) We had to do it once. It may not be tis but give the Dr a call.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Get her to the doctor ASAP!!!!!!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• you mean like pinworms in her poop? Mild cases can clear up on their own. More severe cases can interfere with proper weight gain and nutrition, so take her to her ped. He's gonna rx some medication to kill them. She'll need to take it immediately, then again in two weeks. So will you, and anyone else who is a major caregiver. You will also need to disinfect bedding, toys, and clothes. Wash cloth diapers in HOT water with bleach. Reinfection is easy if you don't do your due dilligence in getting rid of the eggs. Also, follow much more stringent hand washing procedures for the entire month of treatment (each dose of medication 'works' for two weeks) to avoid reinfecting. She most likely swallowed eggs in the water, or even off her hands from a toy handled by another child with pinworm. You aren't a bad mom, don't be embarrassed. Just get it taken care of. Good luck!
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Call the doctor I remember having worms as a kid from the sandbox in our back yard. come to find out stray cats were using it as a litter box and then we where playing in it.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 10:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2010