spiritual atheists?

I find this topic fascinating and would like to learn more. Can any mamas recommend some websites with accurate information? i didn't realize my understanding of Atheism was so limited and i would like to correct that.:)

angelenia

Asked by angelenia at 11:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Check out what being Agnostic means, that may fit you better =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't think you'll find many websites on the subject. The reason is because Spiritual Atheism tends to be a very personal path, and carries beliefs which are different from person to person. I have met some who believe in an afterlife, but no god, others who believed that there was something bigger, it just wasn't God, it was more like just a universal spirit... It varies from person to person and because of that's it's hard to really build a site or book around without being completely 100% wrong for half the people out there.

Here is a short article that is very on point, although as I said, it's not going to be right for everyone...
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/the-spiritual-atheist-finding-spirituality-without-worship.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh, Ha... I guess there is one. I'll have to check that out... Just remember that with any independent (non-organized) belief system, each person is going to vary a bit in their individual beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well, Beeky IS the web-surfing goddess!!! If it's out there, she can find it!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can't point you to a website or a book simply b/c my spiritual path has been ever evolving, alongside my atheism. I can tell you that I simply do not believe in any higher being or god....BUT I have always, always been deeply connected to nature. From as long as I can remember I've felt a certain pull towards the trees, moon, stars, animals....all things natural. I feel an "energy" within them that fills me with an immense amount of peace.
    I believe our Universe is where we once came from, and where we return too. Our energy is shared by ALL....we are all One. What one does, ripples out to all. I feel ou humanity is what binds us in this life, and our energies will live on within the Universe forever.
    This is just a very basic explanation of my beliefs.
    Hope that helps you a bit:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies! this is one of the things i love about cm. If i am curious about something there is usually a mama who can throw down some knowledge and help me educate myself.:)
    angelenia

Comment by angelenia (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• "spiritual" athiest...very interesting combination of terms. i thought athiest did not believe in spirits? O-o
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 4:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• " i thought athiest did not believe in spirits? O-o"

If you are asking, I don't believe in THE spirit of any god, but I do believe in the energies we all leave behind as we become part of the universe again. I do believe we can feel these energies in the wind and the grass and the trees, etc.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• "spiritual" athiest...very interesting combination of terms. i thought athiest did not believe in spirits? 

Answer by Leezah

Not true.  Atheists don't believe in gods.  And that's the only thing they have in common.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010