Is it normal for a newborn (6 days old) to have runny poops. It didn't happen until my milk came in and I am wondering if there is a connection. She has also spit up the last 2 feeding...she ate again in 30 min. each time it happened, and those stayed down. Confused.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breastfed babies will have loose stool. All babies spit up some.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Make sure you are burping her... pretty well, too. My kids always burped like sailors. Breast fed baby poop is kind of loose with little white seeds in it. My kids always looked like mustard.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Loose stools and spitting up is completely normal. In these first few weeks when you milk comes in it is common to have an abundance of milk until it levels off and is the right amount for your baby. Too much milk will lead to spitting up and looser stools (due to some excess lactose from getting too much foremilk). What to do? Breastfeed exclusively and frequently (no pumping, no bottles). Let her breastfeed as long as she wants on one side before offering the other (don't switch breasts at a set time). In a couple of weeks things will even out!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Sounds normal to me, remember your baby's body and system is getting use to the world of breast mild bodily functions ect. Their body is learning how to work and it may take a week upto a couple of months depending on new things introduced (breastmilk formula types) just dont switch from breast milk to this formula to that formula, stick w one thing for 3 weeks or so and if it keeps up then I would ask the doc but i wouldnt be to concerned. Either way though if youre concerned enough now just ask you doc. it never hurts to be to careful when it comes to your lil ones.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• what maggiemom2000 said!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2010