Breathing patterns....my newborn goes from heavy, irregular breathing, to very quiet, undetectable breating. I know they have different patterns for different stages of alertness...but it is scary to watch. You wonder if they are in distress. Sometime it looks like she misses 3 breaths.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know what you mean. With all the SIDS Awareness, it's easy to get scared. The best thing for you to do is mention it at the next check up, so your Doctor can reassure you, and tell you what you really need to watch for...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• This sounds normal to me! Spend lots of time skin to skin with her (get in bed with baby, you w/o a shirt, baby in only a diaper). Let her sleep on your chest, and feed frequently. It helps to "organize" the baby's behavior so that she learns to feed more easily. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps her use all her energy to grow. It also helps to stabilize breathing patterns and blood sugar. It also give you peace of mind knowing that she is right there on your chest!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is normal. I love what Maggiemom suggested. A babies developing system is very sensitive. I remember touching both of my sons, the first son was the worst, all night long, making sure they were breathing. It's a roller coaster ride of fear until the normalcy sets in.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Thank you. I have found that she loves (as do I) always touching me when she sleeps in some way and I hate to admit that at night she will only go down next to me in the bed. I did sleep alone with her in the spare bed in the baby room last night....having my husband in bed with us scares me. Men are just not as in tune LOL
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Learn more about sleeping safely with baby at Should I sleep with my baby?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• sounds normal. dd did that too. it is very scary when baby is your first and you don't know what to expect! babies that co-sleep with their mothers actually LEARN correct breathing patterns from momma!! bed-sharing/co-sleeping CAN BE DONE SAFELY :) there is nothing wrong with having your baby next to you - especially if you are breastfeeding!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2010