Potty Training Stubbornness and other assorted crapola

So, I seem to have to universe's most stubborn almost-three-year-old. Then again, I'm sure most mom's of toddlers think this.
My current problem is the potty. He hates it, and I don't know why. We went from the potty chair (unsuccessful) to using a seat on the toilet (moderately successful until the novelty wore off) and now I have plopped him, naked, on the potty chair in front of Toy Story. This is his usual pooping time, and I'd like to not have him sh*t in his underpants today.
Does consistent pooping in the chair (even if it's totally by accident, he's engrossed in something else and forgot to notice that he was pooping) lead to potty success? I feel like we're missing something here that other parents get.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just put my son in underwear and took him to the bathroom regularly. After a few accidents in his pants he got the clue. Every kid is different though. Hang in there, I know it is frustrating..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• potty learning~sometimes kids appear stubborn when they are just not putting it all together.
    During a non potty time I have that honest little chat~that using the potty is coming next for him and people will help him know how to do it. His job will be to notice how his body is feeling and to do something new with those feelings (stop playing a do a potty trip).

I like to keep the potty in the bathroom to get that idea that we have to move to find a potty and that there is a potty routine with doing the clothes and washing~but you might need to be clever and make potty time so fun he can't resist. Soon...this is a word I use a lot until we get anything new mastered.."soon you will get you pee in the potty" ~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm in the same situation. I now think that potty training was invented to test the sanity levels of us mothers.

Here's a bump for you.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i potty-trained my son when he was nearly 2 and 1/2 (he is 3 and 1/2 now). i explained that he was getting to be a big boy and that big boys learn to use the potty. i brought him shopping and let him pick his potty and his under wear. i also bought a book for boys potty training. it was like a fairy-tale story with pictures that showed little boys sitting on potty and some have accidents etc:. we read it a few times before starting and also while sitting on potty. i also used a reward chart with stickers and let him put sticker on chart when he was successful. after 3 days he got the hang of it and after 2wks he was trained both day and nite. one less expense in the shopping. each child is different and they will grasp it when ready.
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2010