Why do you believe the way you do?

Were you raised in your religion or did you research and come to your own beliefs as an adult?

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 11:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Raised Christian, things didn't make sense, researched and came to my conclusion. My dad had a rather prominent hand in it (though he himself is still religious). He was the one that told me to always question things and seek out the answers if something didn't make sense. To research and come to my own conclusion, and I did. When it came out to my family that I was Atheist my dad merely questioned how I came to my conclusion and that was that. My moms eyes kind of bugged out of her head for a second but it was rather short lived as she herself falls in line with pagan beliefs(Multiple gods, nature based, not within the Abrahamic religions). Interesting considering she was the one that made us go to church as children.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was raised as a catholic, and was very disappointed with it, now I do not have any religion, don't believe in anything man made and my relationship with God is personal.

Answer by older at 12:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was raised Christian, but encouraged to cultivate my own spirituality. Indoctrination was never pushed, and asking questions and thinking outside the box was encouraged. I still affiliate with Christianity, but not at the expense or exclusion of other faiths. I'm constantly studying and enhancing my faith, so its an ongoing process, even if I'm technically still the faith I was "raised" in...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wasn't raised as anything... my parents were interdenominational Christians, but they never practiced anything, and my dad also believed in reincarnation. I was Christian for a long time, or considered myself a Christian, and got tired of the fear and the the intolerance I felt on that path. I found freedom and peace when I realized that I'm actually eclectice pagan. It makes me happy, and I don't have to deal with any guilt, shame or fear on this path.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Raised in my religion, fell away, had some major happenings in my life that made me think about religion in general...prayed about it then went back.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was raised as a Christian and around 16 I withdrew from it because of the things I saw in other people. I then gravitated towards Paganism and now at 33, I have went back to Christianity thru self education and becoming more aware than I was as a teen/pre-teen.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm still working on it :D
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My beliefs are a part of me. I was raised as a JW, but as a small child knew it wasn't my path. I held beliefs and felt drawn to traditions I had not only never been taught but had always been told was demonic and evil... But they were part of who I am, I believe they are memories ingrained in my spirit... It's just what comes naturally, and so far, it's never steered me wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I came to mine through common sense and education of my own doing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• raised Christian, forced to attend church into my 20's -never really knew anyone thought there was anything but the Christian God-
    when I was a teen-I took a Mythology iclass n high school (which my parents were not too happy about) and from there...well...I just couldn't buy it at all anymore
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010