quiting smoking.....wtf!!!

yesterday i made it til 5:30 without touching a ciggarette. but then i just broke down! i was crying and i felt crazy.so i went and borrowed one from my neibor and i sat down and took 5 drags of the ciggarette and that fast it was like something was balancing back out in my head. i really didnt think i could get passed that freak out though. i cried for almost an hour before i smoked. how do you get through that kind of freak out without the smoke? i tried so hard and messed up the whole day because i didnt think i could get through it. it was day one though.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• DONT FEEL BAD, AT LEAST YOU WANT TO DO IT AND YOU ARE TRYING.
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can't quit cold turkey.

I went to the dr and he put me on anti depressants... thank god! I know I would be crying and just a hot mess without them. I used the anti depressants with the patch, the combo worked for me.

I have been smoke free for 3.5 years!

jking48444

Answer by jking48444 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think you have to be prepared for those. #1 I think the patch helps ALOT!! Go for a run, eat some candy..do something to change your setting/thinking and get your mind off it. try quitnet.com for support..it has lots of cool stats you cna track..like how much money you saved. Reward yourself every week with the money you save. You can do this!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You could try replacing that habit with another one. Instead of smoking you could go crush your teeth every time you want one. Or have a popsicle, chew gum, eat a carrot...anything that involves your mouth.

When I was quitting I found that it wasn't so much the nicotine I was craving, it was the oral fixation that goes along with it.

You could also try wearing a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you want a smoke, snap it HARD. Soon you'll start associating smoking with pain and your brain will just say "Nuh uh".

If you can go three days without a cigarette then the nicotine is out of your system and it's just the habit that needs breaking.
    Don't give up, you can definitely do it!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• http://www.ecigarettesnational.com/products/Firelight-E-Cigarette-Starter-Kit.html  this is what SO and I are doing.  It helps.  I find that I don't use it as much as I was smoking because you don't feel the need to finish the whole cigarette since it's not burning.  You still get the nicotiene but not the other bad things and you can wean down the amount of nicotene that you use.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• *brush your teeth....not crush them. Lol! Oops!
    Laila-May

• I HAVE to have the patch. I've been quit for 2 1/2 weeks and I don't even want one anymore. Could you invest in the patches? They REALLY help me and DH. Good luck, and don't beat yourself up. It's sooo much harder than anyone can know unless they've done it.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Just keep chugaluggin.... I can't quit cold turkey either. Go buy some nicotine gum so when you have a bad withdrawal you can chew the shit out of the gum and get the addictive nicotine in your system to get you through that craving.

youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010