Have you ever had an infant with jaundice? Tell me your story...

I have had two babies with jaundice that had to be treated under lights in the hospital.

I am pregnant again and looking for ways to minimize my third babies risk. I have researched delayed cord cutting to supplementing with formula (I am an avid breastfeeder) or immediate feeding upon delivery.

What are your ideas...I am going to of course, talk to my Dr too, but just want to hear your stories and ideas.

To help me brainstorm and figure out the best ideas for my baby! :)

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 12:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• there maybe nothing you can do...it is part genitics
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• DD was also under the Billie light for 24 hours. I nursed as soon as she was born and supplemented with formula since you have to flush it out of the body but once her levels were down, she went back to only breast milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son had it because I was induced 3 wks early because my 1st pregnancy ended in a stillbirth. We just sat him in the sunshine-with sunglasses on lol- for 10 min a day. Within a week or so,he was fine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i am not sure how to prevent it my son had it but it wasnt very bad he was only under a light for a little while so i really dont know but here is a bump for u!
    Kelsmomma123

Answer by Kelsmomma123 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son was preemie so he was so jaundiced his entire body looked orange. He had to spend a lot of time under a heat lamp and it actually helped some.

It took quite awhile before he actually had a normal skin tone, but I made sure that as soon as it was warm enough (he was born in January in Iowa = blizzards) that I would take him outside to get a little sunlight each day which seems to really clear it up fast.

Hopefully someone else will be more helpful because I know jaundice is pretty much expected with a preemie and after we left the NICU it was kinda one of those "wait for it to get better" things.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• now, I thought cutting the cut faster was maybe better~less of mom's blood to have to break down? My baby's teeth came in black from bilirubin staining (huge hospital stay). At 7, his new teeth are coming in white~do you know how great that is!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Mine was not as bad as yours. I just had to keep my first son in the light of a window. And it didn't last long, a couple weeks. Good luck momma!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't know that there is any way to prevent it. I carried my dd full term plus 2 days and she was still slightly jaundiced. GL and congrats!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My first was induced for pre-e and the cord was cut within minutes; he was jaundiced and spent time under bili lights but no formula.

My second was born at home, the cord was not cut until it stopped pulsating (about 45min) and she was not jaundiced--also no formula.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Typically, neonatal jaundice occurs in otherwise healthy infants for two reasons. First, infants have too many red blood cells and it is a natural process for the body to break down these excess red blood cells to form a large amount of bilirubin. It is this bilirubin that causes the skin to take on a yellowish color. Second, the newborn's liver is immature and cannot process bilirubin as quickly as the infant will be able to when older. This slow processing of bilirubin has nothing to do with liver disease. It merely means that the baby's liver is not as fully developed as it will be; thus, there is some delay in eliminating the bilirubin.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010