How is the economy in your area?

I'm just outside of Houston and we are doing ok in our small city but Houston is just getting by. There are some specific jobs to be found but as with most places people are on edge about what happens next and don't want to spend .

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We're still at 14% U/E and still see the ads running on tv where they use the soundbite of Obama saying he's going to save our town, only the ads are to beg people to donate to food pantries. Of all the people I know who lost their jobs (at least 1 per family), I know of one who has finally found full time work again, and it took over a year for that to happen. The rest are trying to scrape by doing multiple part time jobs or the odd contract work here and there (people were fighting over jobs at the county fair for a week). Some have gone back to school, and some are trying to start their own businesses, but nobody is making enough to survive without either relying on student loans/grants or some sort of assistance unless at least one of them still has their existing job.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son just got laid off because the company he worked for closed shop. How about that for economic recovery?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think Eastern PA is doing well (Lehigh Valley area). BUT, foreclosures are on the rise due to so many people who live in PA but work in NY and NJ who are losing their jobs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We are doing good! There are lots of jobs. We are an hour and a half north of Houston.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's gloomy with a steady stream of disappointments, but rumors are flying that more jobs will be brought in within the next 4 years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We are at 9%, poorness doesn't tend to stand out so much in agricultural/rural areas. Lots of foreclosures though. Just South of ATL.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's stagnating. I live in SE Wisconsin and a lot of the major industries have closed, shipped jobs overseas, or are getting ready to close. It's kind of sad to look at because it's an old town and I can imagine it in the 30s just full of life and prosperity.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Actually pretty good. But I am in the middle of MO in a college town, and I believe that helps a lot.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Michigan here......crap......business as usual.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• NW Ohio here. I have seen a turn around personally, my DH got called back to work after being laid off over a year and a half. I have managed to keep my job all along. We are blessed. We have managed to keep our home, but we have a very managable house payment. I think Toledo for the most part is still in pretty rough shape. Lots of jobless people. Some may be a combination of no job and just plain lazy, but I do know our economy was hit hard. As per the rest of the country, there are college level positions, and entry level positions, but no mid level positions. However I see a lot of sloth too. One man on our street has not had a job in over a year. Every day he walks to the carryout..about 3 times a day and buys a can of beer and walks around sitting on some of the neighbors porches just hanging out. Not displaying a whole lot of gumption to get a job.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010