How and when should I start putting my daughter to be earlier and getting her up earlier to get used to it for school?

She starts Kindergarten in 3 weeks, on August 3rd. She'll be getting on the bus at 6:40 am. I think I can count on one hand the times she's had to even be out of bed before 7:30! She was in preschool for two years, but didn't get on that bus until 8:45am.
So, should I start soon and gradually work up to getting up that early and going to bed a little earlier, or wait a week or two and just wake her up at 6am a few times and just let her take herself to be earlier from being tired?
Any suggestions are appreciated. :-)
I am SOOOOO not a morning person, so this is a little new to me. :-)
Thanks!

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I started putting my kids to bed around 8pm (9pm right now with time change) a year or so ago to get them used to it. Kids are supposed to get around 10-12 hours o fsleep per night. They have to get up around 7am every morning anyhow so I can go to work, and they have been doing that for over a year now and STILL don't wake up perky and ready to start the day! lol

I don't think they ever will get used to it. I would reccomend gradually putting her down earlier and getting her up earlier over the next few weeks so that it isn't as tough on her.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Thats early! Ummmm I would get her into a routine fast like wake her up extra early so @ night she goes to bed early and than her body will adjust Goodluck! Im so not a morning person either...
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 12:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• That isnt that early honestly. If she is tired still it means she isnt going to bed on time. A five or six year old should be in bed around 8:30-9:00.

In the morning let her brain get stimulated and wake up by being in a light space (lights on windows open), maybe a quick shower or have her wash her face over the sink, nice breakfast, and let her pick out her outfit and hairstyle the night before so the morning can move faster.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am not a morning person either and i just had #2 at the end of school last year my daughter has to be up at 530 latest but cause it takes her so long to get ready and she has to get a shower(bed wetter) i have to get up at 445 so that i can function to get her up at 5 i will be starting to get her up on the 19th since she starts on aug 6th. Which reminds me i need to by a new alarm clock. my daughter also goes to bed at 7 pm (her choose) on school nites but no later than 8 we start the year out at 8 but she ends up choosing 7.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 1:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If she goes in 3 weeks - start NOW!
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh my gosh...I have my kids in bed by 7pm (7,12)...dinner at 4pm. They wake on their own in the 6am hour. Both kids are growing at such a rapid rate (my 12 year old has a size 81/2 foot already) and I like to get to bed early too (my best diet plan~no night time TV with commercial).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010