Spinoff - Can you be both spiritual AND agnostic?

I think that you can. You can feel very connected to the universe or even to a higher power that you aren't sure what IT is. I don't believe they are necessarily mutually exclusive of each other. Do you?

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Agnostic really just means "without knowledge" and is a philosophy not religion. So one can have spiritual beliefs, theistic beliefs, or atheistic beliefs and still hold that any knowledge of said beliefs is unobtainable.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think agnostics are spiritual by nature.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Of course you can. Agnostic does not mean you don't believe in a higher power, it just means that you understand the fact that our human brain cannot %100 fathom the unexplainable, such as god. But, you certainly can believe that there is SOMETHING of a higher power out there, but you just don't know who, what, where or why. I know many people who are agnostic yet believe that there is a "higher power".

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm atheist and very spiritual;)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Totally
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Of course you can, especially because Agnosticims QUESTIONS the existence of a higher, creative power, it doesn't DENY it. However, (and this has only been my limited personal expericence) most of the times being truly "spiritual" while denying something bigger than ourselves can be inconsistent.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am an atheist and, though I do not believe in god beings, I am very aware of spirit beings that populate the White Light/Universal Conciousness, or godforce. I work with an archangel and a spirit guide in my magick. I don't feel that being an atheist automatically means I must be skeptical about ghosts, ufos, unknown animals, or other metaphysical things. It only means I am skeptical about the existence of gods.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. It's when you throw organized religions in there you get all the confusion.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010