anybody tried selling avon?

I'm supposed to meet with an avon rep about becoming an "Avon lady". I am a bit apprehensive about the whole idea of paying a company to sell their stuff... Even though it "sells itself"...

EFotiou

Asked by EFotiou at 1:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I haven't but my cousin did for a while. She said at first she liked it but it got to be too much of a hassle so she stopped. I know someone else who's been doing it for years.
    mom23girls555

Answer by mom23girls555 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If your feeling apprehensive maybe this isn't the right thing for you. Avon has great products, but the business set up isn't for everyone. Did it years ago and it wasn't inspiring. I found something else to do from home thats simple, helps people and better money. If you'd like to know more about it let me know.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'll give just about anything a whirl...Right now i'm making soap and jewelry...hoping to get into clothes and makeup
    EFotiou

Comment by EFotiou (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I tried to sell Avon, but I couldn't get passionate about the products - just not my thing to sell. My mother on the other hand has been selling for almost 30 years and earns $1500 or so a month doing it.

I do want to add though that you are NOT paying a company to sell their stuff. You are paying a company to become an independent representative. Just like you would if you wanted to start a Subway or McDonald's - Avon is a franchise... You're paying to join the company, not to work for them... You'll find the same deal with ANY home based business or outside franchise.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I tried it but at the time I lived in a smallish town and everyone sold Avon!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 2:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I sell mark. It is a daughter company of Avon. A lot less rigid and you really can do what you want with it. You don't have order deadlines or anything and your commission is a flat across the board rate instead of based on how much you sell.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I sold AVON during my high school days. That was my after school job. I made enough money as a teenager to do what I wanted
    JLWmassage

Answer by JLWmassage at 8:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I just signed up to sell mark and it seems a lot less stressful than Avon.
    Sweetie564

Answer by Sweetie564 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• Well the great thing about selling Avon is you can sell both Avon and mark. It's just $10 to start which covers the cost for 20 brochures for your first two campaigns and a few samples. You also get a free website for your first 6 campaigns and a little more. My best advice is to try it for your first 6 campaigns just ordering 20 brochures and reaching out to new customers both for Avon and mark. Don't buy samples or any extras since you'll be eating into your own profit. Your going to want to build your customer base first before you'll see any real profit plus for your first six campaigns you'll earn at 45 to 50% but then will have to work your way up when you head into your 7th campaign. It takes time but I've noticed in my years of selling a lot give up in just a few campaigns and don't really give it a shot. Try it and you may be surprised. Good luck in your decision!

sweetmommy0710

Answer by sweetmommy0710 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2010