Were Native Americans treated worse than the slaves in the south?

There is a post in a large group where the statement was made that Native Americans were treated worse than the slaves from Africa who were brought to America. I thought it was a thought provoking statement. I've read a lot about both groups of people and how they were treated. I'm not sure I agree that Native Americans were treated worse. Thoughts?

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 1:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's impossible to quantify the mistreatment of either group.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ^^^^^ what she said!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't think you can really compare. They were both treated badly. I think I would go with slaves if I had to though since they kidnapped from their land in bondage on crowded slave ships to become cattle basically and abused their whole lives after. The Trail of Tears is heartbreaking, too though. There are certainly similarities though, both groups forced from their land and home by white entitlement with their history and entire way of life changed forever.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They both were treated pretty bad. And Whoever is comparing the treatment of natives to slaves it totally lame. The mains reason behind the ill treatment of natives in the south is that fucker president Andrew Jackson who forced all the Cherokee, Creek & Seminole Indians to move west. Thousands upon thousands of Indians died when forced to move. Jackson believed that if the Natives were pushed farther west, that the Northern & Southers regions would get along better. What he didn't expect was a huge war to come about over slavery a few years later, so his retarded decision to move the Natives westward proved to be pointless. They both were severely ill treated & comparing ill treatment of Natives to the slaves is just ridiculous!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• One word "Genocide". You decide.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• it depends. they were slaves and treated as such but the natives were treated as if they were nothing. we killed them with smallpox. so i think they were treated like the jews with the nazis. but slaves were mistreated in a diff way....
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• America's genocide....

Who is to say which is worse in the way of suffering?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Also, while the southern states were being formed, thousands of Indians were hanged & killed. The Cherokee & especially seminole Indians were very protective of their tribes & the white folsk werent having that. They were practically demolished all together as a tribe. Native Americans are rare these days..that says a lot about how they were treated.

But blacks were slaves & were also hanged & tortured. You cannot compare the two. Both have suffered just as horribly as the other.

Many blacks & natives joined forces & became wonderful friends during that time. There is a high black populations in FL who are also seminole Indians.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree with what LotusBlossom said. The Native Americans were treated less than human, even more so, IMO, than the "slaves". They were driven from there homes, mass murdered, etc. In the Early Americans' opinions, there was no use for the native Americans where as at least the slaves had a purpose.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I also want to note..there were slaves in the north as well

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010