how would you handle this ?

last yr we ran into probs with my 7 yrs 2nd gr teacher. i am worried the teacher may have talked to the 3rd gr teachers and we will go through the same treatment. what should i do if it happens again?

puresouthern

Asked by puresouthern at 1:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in

• As a school teacher, I hate when parents complain about last years teacher to me...b/c guess what...the ones that the parents are always upset about are the ones that I hate too but it is not professional to gossip about my colleagues so I just smile and nod. It's always the same two teachers that I get complaints about and I can't stand either of them...I wouldn't listen to a thing they told me about any child anyway. I like to make my own opinions. Sorry for that rant.

Cont...
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Now, to your question...I'm so sorry that is happening to you and your child. Is there a reason that your child is getting a "bad rep" with the teachers? What sort of info are they passing on to each other? Is it academic or behavior or something else? I think you should go to back to school night with a positive attitude and make sure to tell the new teacher that you are looking forward to a great year! If you go in with a "I hated last years teacher and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate you too" attitude, then that's what will probably happen. I hope your child has a wonderful school year (and you too)!!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Speak to the school board and the principal.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son was in a school like that..he had issues with his 1st grade teacher then moved on to 2nd grade and clearly the new teacher had several discussions about my son with her. I have to give the 2nd grade teacher some credit for trying a littl eharder than the 1st to get through to my son..but in the end it was like she had thrown her hands up in the air and said, youre on your own,kid.
    I think to some extent..its good for teachers to communicate between eachother..but they should do it in a positive way, not a negative way....but sadly many fall to the negativity and it does affect our children.
    For 3rd grade, we had moved to another city so he started in a new school..I talked to the new teacher..and she was a total blessing, a remarkable teacher. Thats what worked for us..was the whole new school, new environment.
    Make an appt with the principal b4 school starts, talk about your fears/concerns.GOOD LUCK!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• On back to school night I would make it a point to talk to the teacher and say something like "last year was not a very good year for X. He/She did not get along very well with Mrs. Z. I really hope this will be a better year" and then see if this new teacher says anything. If the treatment continues this year, then I would speak to the teacher, and then take the matter to the principal. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010