Have you heard of using Progesterone to lengthen pregnancy?

When I went to my OB to discuss getting pregnant again, she told me that if I did she would recommend Progesterone injection to help me carry longer. When I had my son, I had him at 36 weeks, but that was after a month of complete bed rest, as I went into full blown labor at 32 weeks. Just wondering if anyone had heard of this, or had this, and knows if it works!

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have been taking the Progesterone shot since I was 22 weeks this is my 3rh preg. and I have had both my children premature so they decided to start giving me the P shot due to the history of pre-term labor and premature babies and this time around my cervix had seen getting shorter I am 30 weeks they will give me my last dose at 34 weeks but I might have the baby early once again due to my cervix so I really dont know if the shot works since my cervix is still getting shorter and I have been having contractions I moniter(NST) twice a week.
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, I have heard of this. The Dr talked to my friend about his with her 3rd pregnancy after she had preterm labor with her 2nd, but she didn't do it because she didn't have any of the risk factors she did with her 2nd (with her 2nd she and twins and a low lying placenta, bleeding and all sort of other stuff going on)
    Certainly something to consider if they can't figure out why you had early labor and delivery with the first.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, they do this when you do in-vitro to prevent from miscarrying. First the injections then the suppositories.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yes. i had my 2nd son at 33 weeks and when i talked to my midwife about if i have a 3rd pregnancy, and she said they would likely co-manage w/ an OB who would likely have me on progesterone to help keep me pregnant longer. even though i could very well carry full term but since i had one preemie it's possible again of course
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010