milk supply?

My son is just about to turn 1 and it seems like my milk is going down a lot within the past 3-4 days. DH and I are also ttc. I was wondering if it could effect your milk that fast if I would be pregnant? If not what could be making me have so little milk if I am still nursing the same amount and nothing has changed.

jombmomi

Asked by jombmomi at 1:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish I could bump this. If you are pregnant than that could be a reason your supply is dropping. There are 2 really good natural herbs that boost supply unfortunately I cant think of there names. Its been 3 years since Ive nursed!! Hope you get some answers. Also try to google it.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Pregnancy can cause a drop in milk supply, but not usually that early in pregnancy. It is more likely that your body is just changing to meet the needs of your baby. At one year old they are usually starting to eat more solids and need less breastmilk and your body responds by making less milk. If your baby wants more milk he will ask to breastfeed more to "tell" your body to make more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Is LO eating 3 meals a day? Does he nurse before or after meals? Always nurse bfore. Also, it's at the 2nd mos in prgnancy when u notice LO is getting less. Good luck ttc!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• He is eating but not 3 square meals per day. I try to nurse whenever he wants but I also work full time. He is eating the same as the past few months. When I nurse him he gets mad after like 3 min and hit me and bite me. Or he'll lift up my shirt and then refuse to nurse.
    jombmomi

Comment by jombmomi (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• How are you gauging a supply drop? Pump output normally decreases, and breast feel means nothing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My breasts are not as full, my son isn't full even after nursing on both sides and needs to still eat when he is finished nursing, I am not getting engored even the other day when I went from 8 pm to 10 am weithout pumping or nursing ( I was with my friend who was in labor and had to leave my kids with my mom) and when I did pump there wasn't much there. I was getting like 6 oz when I was pumping at work the week before last and now I only get 2-3 oz.
    jombmomi

Comment by jombmomi (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You shouldnt be getting engorged at this point. And like Gdiamante pointed out, how they feel doesnt really matter either. Also, something to consider (sorry) is that my supply always drops right before I start my period. But your supply may just be reacting to the decreased demand. (i.e. the long stretch the other day) and (i assume) increasing solids. The extra hunger could be a growth spurt. Keep nursing and you'll be fine.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010