Do kindergartners take naps at school?

I know I did when I was a kindergartner but that was 22 years ago. Do they still do that now?
Does it vary by school? Or is it a normal thing for the kids to drag down the little blue nap mats and sleep for a while in every kindergarten class?

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In fully day K they do here for the first half of the year and the second half they tell the kids they are getting ready for first grade and it becomes story time instead. They didn't have mats though just a blanket from home.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• our K's are all day~they have a rest time after lunch~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I talked to my sister and she said that where her son goes, they will have naps in Kindergarten. I believe that where my daughter will go, they too will take naps.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 1:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is totally depended on the school! Some schools are only 1/2 day kindergarten, while others are full day. Check with your local school!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son did. But, I think it honestly depends on the school.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• where I live if the Kinder program is all day, they do take a "power time, brain rest!". not so with AM / PM program. I was a teacher in my country, PR. I had Kindergarten groups sometimes and the children did not have nap time even thou it was an all day program.
    roxipoet

Answer by roxipoet at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Not here. We have a half day Kindergarten. I was in Kindergarten back in '88 and we didn't have naps then either. I think only full day Kindergartens do naps, but I've never found a school that does full day.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My granddaughter's did not. However, for the first three weeks of school, the teacher had several sleeping kids in the afternoon, my granddaughter included. But, no, here they did not have a rest time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• nope, not even the full day programs here do
    it sucks
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son had quiet time where they went to the mats and either laid down or sat for 10 minutes. The teacher played soft music

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010