I've been considering donating a kidney...

I have been considering donating a kidney to someone in need. Has anyone ever done this? My SO is against it because he thinks I should save my kidney for him or my DD, in case they ever need one... Whats your opinion?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 2:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• do it!...I have a little guy in stage 4 and will need a kidney one day....matching for family isn't a sure thing....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• As long as you're ok with what your body will have to endure thru recovery and for the rest of your life,then more power to ya!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• How much will you get for your kidney? Shoot, for the right price, i might donate mine too...LOL! Would love to help someone who needs it!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If more people are that giving, then if the time comes for your dh and dd to need a kidney, they will have one ready for them! I've never done this, but wouldn't be against it. I'm a strong believer in the whole "pay it forward" thing. God bless you for your decision!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think you are awesome for your consideration to those in need. Go for it hun. My babies father was born with only one and didn't find out until he was seven years old when the one he had started to fail. They gave him surgery on it and he is now almost 24 and going strong but one day he may need a new one and it's people like you in life who are so incredible to help out with situations like that.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If I had children, I would have to consider it very very carefully. I would see if they could type my kids first. If I wasn't a match for my kids, then I would go for it. If I WAS a match for my kids I would not.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Ok, so how do I look into this - I actually didn't think you get money for donating a kidney.. I was just going to do it to help someone lol... I do need a new car (kidding).
    allfiller

Comment by allfiller (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think that's a wonderful and beautiful thing. My DD has Polycystic Kidney Disease and because everyone on both sides of the family are military and have lived overseas, not a one of us will be able to donate when the time comes. I wish there were more people willing to become live doners. They could save so many lives!

Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 2:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• What a beautiful gesture on your part, there aren't too many people out there who would actually do this, kudos to you!

Answer by older at 3:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You cannot receive money for your organs by law. It is strictly donation only. Call a local Dialysis Center near you and they will arrange for testing and any info that you may have. Best wishes.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010