Cults vs Organized Religion

I was watching something about cults. And they were talking about how scary and dangerous they are because followers tend to follow blindly and not ask questions of their leaders... Which is relatively true, I think.

But then that got me to thinking, isn't blindly following, non-questioning believers exactly what Organized Religion is based on? I've found that once people start to question most religious groups they are seen as "outsiders" or "doubters." Which is generally the same as with cults...

So, what makes Cults so dangerous and scary while Organized Religions are simply a normal way of life for so many. Are there any real differences, beyond number of followers? Really? Or is it all just in the perception?

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's a great question.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree completely. But, when I ask anyone about it, even nicely, I'm accused of being a satan worshiper and told I'm going to hell for questioning them and trying to turn them.
    WTH?!?
    But, yeah, it seems the same to me.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• oragianized religoin isn't really based on blindy following. a lot of religious leaders , real ones, actually encorage their followers to ask questions about whatever they don't really know. some are encoraged to follow their own paths of worship.
    caljones

Answer by caljones at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• All organized religion started out as cults. In sociological terms it is just part of a natural progression - as groups change in size, their names change. One of the names along the way is cult, and originally, there was nothing outwardly negative about it. It became pejorative because people wanted to outcast new offshoots of their existing religions (ie originally, protestantism was a cult, and mainstream Catholicism was threatened by it, as it grew, it took on new names until it became a full fledged denomination, then a new group split off, and it became a cult, until eventually it had split and grown into all the Baptist, Methodists, Lutherans, etc of today). They were ALL considered subversive and dangerous.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The difference is that generally speaking "organized religion" as you put it is apart of the MAIN stream, therefore by culture terms it is NOT a cult.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• cults are generally considered dangerous because a few preformed mass murder (calling it a ritual sacrifice) or mass suicide. Generally with organized religion they tell you not to kill people (only to shun them, convert them, or beat them into submission).

It's really a double edged sword.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 2:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• But then that got me to thinking, isn't blindly following, non-questioning believers exactly what Organized Religion is based on
    ----
    NO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Hmmm, the only difference I see is that religions tend to have more members.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree with Bezu.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Doesn't someone who belongs to a cult often isolate themselves from family and friends?? Organized Religion is just a group of people who come to worship, fellowship and learn together with the same beliefs. They go to work the same place your work, they may be your neigbors or even your child's teacher at school.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010