Whats your take on a 10 year old having a cell phone?

???

TexasPride85

Asked by TexasPride85 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Please bump I want to know how everyone feels about this....need all of the opinions I can get. Thanks
    TexasPride85

Comment by TexasPride85 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• There would have to be a very good reason for it. My 6 yr old is going to stay 4 hours away with my ex-mil (court ordered visit supposed to be for ex) for a week and we are getting her a prepaid for then. Last time she went they wouldn't answer my calls and wouldnt let her call when she asked.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• if this 10 year old is going to have a better phone than most adults... with internet/gps/texting/tv... all the fun stuff, i say no way. a cell should only be used for emergencies at that age. once they have a job, they can pay for the extras.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 2:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• no phone is my vote. don't like focus on it, what it is used for and what it puts out.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it's completely up to the parents. If I can afford one for my son when he is 10 he will have one. Possibly before that.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 2:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i think those prepaid ones are great for kids you can ask your carrier to even lock the internet and dowloads as well.
    Italiana88

Answer by Italiana88 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Honestly - a 10 yr old will usually be in a position where SOMEONE around them - adult - will have one. It is far more important that the 10 yr old knows ALL of your numbers and where he lives.

My children do not get cell phones until they are in High School - when they will be in situations where there are not as many adults or riding in a vehicle driven by a friend or themselves.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would say no way for recreational reasons. If it's a necessity I could see them taking one to soccer practice or something just in case of an emergency.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Completely unnecessary!!

Our children will not get cell phones until they have jobs to pay for them. I don;t see the need until they have their driver's licenses.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Nope I got one the day I graduated, and even then I paid for it and paid the bill on it.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010