Sex Offender Registry

So I got bored at work and looked at the local Sex Offender Registry and found two people that live within three blocks of me! I am absolutely disgusted and want to know what I can do to tell people. How do you let people know about things like this? It said that one was convicted in 2002 and one in 2005 but it still creeps me out. We have a lot of children in the area and the one guy I can see his house from my son's bedroom window! What would you do??

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• that is concerning about the view from your son's room. I would meet these neighbors and look at them eye to eye. I would even say I found their status on line and I just wanted introduce myself as a concerned neighbor.

that would give me a better vibe, maybe some disclosure from the sex offender, and to let them know I see them and I'm on guard.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If people need to know they can find out by searching themselves. Just because they are registered sex offenders DOES NOT mean their crimes are against children.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Did you read what they were convicted of? The website will list the offense code and give you a definition. There's a big difference between "exposing oneself or peeing in public" and rape/incest! Remember, some women will a destroy an ex-boyfriend's reputation because he dared to break up with her!

Secondly, you need to be careful what you do wit the information. If the offender finds out they could sue you for slander! Yeah, it sucks, but the law actually protects them to a point.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Just wanted to say, make sure they are not statutory rape charges. Those guys shouldn't have to register... But I guess just tell the neighbors you talk to and try to always know where your kids are. The world is scary and I think the registry almost makes it worse. There are bad people all around that aren't one a website.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You can get in trouble for Speading false information about these people.. Most of them arent on Children and all websites tell you what they have been conviced of. So calm down.. And they are everywhere..
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• and look at it this way, atleast they are registered... There are plenty of them out there that aren't registered so no reason to get in such a hissy over this. Just go about every day life the way you normally would.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Its probably like that in lots of places!! There are so many sick freaking people out there!!! Honestly, the only thing you can do is keep a watchful eye on your children and tell your close neighbors of your findings!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well, I'd be careful telling others about it. You can direct them to the site, but as far as saying "hey, that guy there is a sex offender" is illegal in most areas.
    Just make sure your kids know the rules, where to go, where not to go, and that if something happens they can come to you.
    Also, what were they convicted of? I'm not saying it all isn't bad, but say if it was just a guy having sex with his girlfriend two weeks before she was of age, he's not likely to go after your son. They pretty much stick with the same "type" of people.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• you can let your neighbors know i don't think anything is wrong with that i mean he is a convicted sex offender and anyone has availability to that why not let ppl know. if you and the other neighbors feel unsafe you can take it with a petition and have him moved. there was one right next door to us and behind a Jr.high and we all got together and and him moved because there were a-lot of kids in the area and the school and non of us felt safe.
    Italiana88

Answer by Italiana88 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yikes. You just can't go around talking like that. Believe it or not, these people have a certain amount of rights, just like you. You could get in trouble doing that. The Sex Offender sites are free for anyone to look at. I would let them find out for themselves. Although it might make you feel better knowing, you never know what the case may be. Public urination will get someone on that list as well. Be careful.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010