Alzheimers question

I was at a family reunion yesterday. Well, my dad's mom has alzheimers pretty bad. Like, my hubby's in the military and I and the babies have been living around home since Thanksgiving. Everytime she sees me she tells me it's so good to see me, so glad I get to visit, etc. It's pretty progressive. My dad takes her to the grocery store. My parents also prepare all their meals for the week and package them up, as she can't do that anymore either. Well, her mother had it. Out of the 7 siblings still alive 5 of them have it. One is in their later 60s and already diagnosed with it. It's scary to think I could someday have it. My gramma is aware she has it, and always said she hoped she died before she got as bad as her mom. I worry my dad could inherit this...then really worry then if I would. What's anyones family history with this?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 3:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• You have a legitimit concern for sure. I would go to the doctor about it and tell them of your worries and they will point you in the right direction.Alzheimers is genetic.It can skip a generation or two...even three but then you'll have cases where it goes through 2 generations then skips the next one.There is no cure for alzheimers, I'm sure you are aware.
    You can get some advice from a doctor on prevention.Some say to eat more fish, some say to excercise your mind through puzzles, reading and learning as much as you can..but some of the smartest and most intelligent people have gotten it.
    I've worked with alzheimer patients for about 5 years. There is medication to slow the process these days.
    Just do as much research as you can on it.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Although I think people can have a predisposition to something like this if you exercise your mind and body live healthily then I think you can avoid things like this. Many people do not exercise their mind enough, are not creative and just go on along with eb and flow of mundane society so I think that it is really important to do that.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Just pray it skips you and your dad:)
    GL dear!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes....ours skips a generation. My grandmother had it so i'm likely to get it. It's scary to think about...I don't want to end up like that.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Keep your BRAIN ACTIVE; take a new class, do crossword puzzles, read
    I have a SEVERE short term memory problem due to an "oops" in the OR at Johns Hopkins Hospital on 7/8/94. It is almost like having "early onset Alzheimer's". I nearly od'ed on Demerol in 1995 because I couldn't remember taking it for a headache so I took some more then I took a third one (all in a 1 hour period) ended up in a stupor and having to have my tummy pumped out. NOT FUN! I lost my job because of this problem. Lost the car several times in the mall parking lot. I use a handicapped parking permit too.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 3:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010