Book ideas (monthly themes)?

I'm finally starting a book club and think it'd be fun to try and do monthly themed books (ex/a Christmas themed book in December, a scary/horror book for October), but am having a hard time coming up with books, or ways to search for them.

Here are my thoughts for monthly themes and some books:
Jan - an inspirational type of book (for the new year); Book: Michael J. Fox's?
Feb - romance or love story; Book (I'm sure there are plenty to choose from)
March - Spring themed book or Irish? (St. Patty's day)

April - maybe a religious book (b/c of Easter)?
May - summer themed book; Book (again, easy choice)
June - chick lit/summer; Book: (super easy choices)
July - ?? maybe something along the lines of patriotism/July 4th/Independence?
Aug -- some sort of school themed book
Sept -- again, school themed; Book: To Kill a Mockingbird, Circle of Friends

Any other ideas? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• have a documentary type section, romance section, vampire/love or vampire/horror, young adult books aka twilight, books from 1800's on down, classics, it doesnt have to be just because of holidays or season either.
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 11:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Maybe a historical fiction month? Phillipa Gregory writes some great ones. If you want fun summer books, Dorothea Benton Frank is a great writer and funny too. To Kill a Mockingbird is on of my fav books. Maybe try some other classics like Gone with the Wind (book is different than the movie) Lord of the Flies, Red Badge of Courage, East of Eden. If you want to try something a little different from Easter, maybe something on the origins of the Passover. Another really good book is A Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. And Jean Shepard books are awesome, they are all out in reprint now. One of the books is what the movie A Christmas Story (with Ralphie and the bb gun) was based on. But all of them are very good. Another book that has been re-released is the Devil's Arithmatic, which is a story of the Jewish people in Nazi Germany. Very well written and insightful. New book out A Dog's Purpose is getting excellent reviews.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• oh how Fun! I LOVE the idea of the monthly themes! Maybe I'll suggest that to my bookclub as well! I'll do a little research for ya (maybe amazon's lists?) and will try to reply back later.

COOL idea!!!
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 10:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

• maybe use historical dates to help with the themes? like the beginning/end of WW1 or 2 could correlate w/ books based on the wars - there are time lines all over the web that could be useful. everything from cleopatra & mark anthony (inspiration: romance novel) to JFK (inspiration: murder mystery)
    brilliant idea & good luck!
    cassieerin

Answer by cassieerin at 10:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2010