Can terrible two happen before 2yrs old?

I hear people talk about terrible two when a child turns two. Can it happen before 2? My daughter as been having some crazy fits lately when she doesn't get her way. I don't understand why. She didn't use to do that.

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 3:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, it can happen at any age. It's not like a freak out that starts at the 2nd birthday and ends at the 3rd. :-)
    It can start whenever and stay for a long time or end quickly. Like everything else, it's different with every kid.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh heck yes.. lol-
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Ohh yeah! My ds has been in the terrible twos since about 15 months. Just learn patience now and don't give her extra attention with the fits.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• oh yes! lol I have worked at daycares for over 7 years now and I have seen a ton of kids not even 2 have the terrible two's. my son who is 18 months is going through the terrible 2 stage. Has been since he was 13 months old...hopefully it will pass soon, but doubtfully lol. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i imagine it could my son started his terrible twos when he turned 3 lol
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 3:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It was 18 months with all of our kids lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yup. My son started a few months before his 2nd birthday. Just remember patience as hard as it can be sometimes. The lack of words makes it hard for your child to communicate what she wants so there for she gets mad.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It starts as soon as a child realizes he/she can manipulate and control mom and dad. It will continue until such time as mom and dad put a stop to it. They don't outgrow it. They have to be taught that mom and dad are the people in charge, and little children are indeed required to respect and obey them. The sooner you begin to teach that, the more peaceful will be your home and the more you will enjoy your children and the role of parenting.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh definitely! My son has been in the "terrible twos" stage since he was 13 months old lol

Like another poster said, since they can't talk very well it's really hard for them to express their needs, wants, and feelings. Imagine how frustrating it would be to understand what others say to you but you can't make them understand you! Believe me, I know it is much easier said than done, but patience is going to be your best friend. I have found that when I keep my cool through a tantrum it helps to keep my kiddo's temper a little more in check. He still throws some epic tantrums but if I ignore him (I make sure he's safe but otherwise I ignore him) he "gets over it" a lot quicker. Not only are they frustrated, but they are also looking for attention so if you don't give in to what they want, they will get bored with their tantrum and move on. Good luck!! :-)
    dancerchica5416

Answer by dancerchica5416 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010