Any moms with Factor 5...?

I was told after the birth of my ds that I have factor 5 and we are thinking about having another baby soon, so I was just wondering how this pregnancy would be different now that I know. We had no complications, which the doc said was rare, but if you have this, how did your pregnancy go? Did you have to take any meds or shots? How was the delivery? Sorry I have so many questions, but when she said it would be a "high risk" pregnancy because of the factor 5, it scared me and now I am afraid to get pregnant... HELP

ps... any bumps would help ;-)

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• what is factor five. i know that i have rh negative blood and had to get shots before and after giving birth with each of my kids but i never had complications during pregnancy
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• This is a genetic disorder that makes you more susceptible for blood clots and makes getting pregnant, staying pregnant and delivery very high risk... yay for me
    HuskerMommy08

Comment by HuskerMommy08 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You could see a Reproductive Specialist and I think through PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis) along with Invitro-fertilization they can manually screen out this disorder. I did PGD when I did invitro and they screened the embryos for many genetic disorders. This may be a way for you to have another child that is born without this disorder.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• "screen out" as in choose which child to keep? That is way too sci-fi for me. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through a pregnancy with this, but thanks for the information anyway.
    HuskerMommy08

Comment by HuskerMommy08 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have factor 5. I received the gene from my mother. She did develop blood clots after being on birth control and delivering me. In her case, it was a nice long hospital visit. Because my OB knew what to look for, I was classified as a high risk pregnancy. They kept a close watch on me during my first trimester because the clotting is what can cause a miscarriage. After I hit 37 weeks, I was doing weekly NSTs and I was induced 3 days early with my first. Once you become overdue, you're at a much higher risk for developing blood clots in the placenta, which would be fatal for you & your baby. The only way to really detect for blood clots in the placeta is to check for fetal distress hence the NSTs. After both of my deliveries I was on Lovenox injections, which is a blood thinner for 6 weeks. If I had ever had a history of clotting myself, I would've been on Lovenox during my pregnancy as well. (cont)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Cont: Also, estrogen based birth control methods are a big No No with factor 5 because now you're at a much higher risk for blood clots, and that includes low estrogen dose pills. The only birth control pill I can take is the mini pill, but there's still a risk there. My OB told me & my husband that being on any type of hormone is not in my best interest especially as I get older (so we had DH snipped hehe). And if you have any daughters, please share this information with them because more than likely they'll have it as well. They need to know about what birth control methods are safe for them because you would hate for them to get on the pill behind your back and then something happen.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Thank you for the info. I have not had any clots, but they run rampant in my family on my mother's side. The way we actually found out was after my ds I wanted to get on the pill but with the family history, my ob had to do the genetic test. After it came back with factor 5, she said we were lucky to have such a good pregnancy and that we got pregnant right away after trying. Did you miscarry at all? If you don't mind my asking... That is another fear of mine, if just miscarrying because that is why most women find out they have factor 5, is after many miscarriages for no other reason.
    HuskerMommy08

Comment by HuskerMommy08 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, I have not had any miscarriages nor any clots, but my mom miscarried twice in the same year. Her OB said it was probably because of the factor 5. I also got pregnant rather quickly with both of my kids, and other than my doctor classifying my pregnancy as high risk, both of mine were very normal pregnancies. I actually was on the pill for about a year before I knew about all the genetic stuff and never had any clots. I guess some women are luckier than others. My mom obviously got the gene from somewhere but no one in our family has a history of blood clots or miscarriages except for her.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I actually have Factor 5 and I know that you posted this back in July so I'm not sure if you still need any answers. I had my 2 kids before I knew I had factor 5 and my pregnancies went mostly pretty good. I didn't know I had it until about 6 months after my 2nd child was born when I got a blood clot in my lung...totally unrelated to my pregnancies. The only thing that they said about my pregnancies after I found out that that could have been why my children were such low birth weight babies. I carried them full-term and was a non smoker and my son was 6lbs 12 oz and my daughter was 5lbs 11 oz....but other than that healthy and happy!
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010