MMR vax

A friend of mine's daughter had gotten the MMR vaccine at her 1 year check up - the following week and a half she had a fever on and off and then started to get a little rash, especially on her tummy. Momma took her dd in and the Dr said that it was Rubeola and almost everybody gets it or has had it as a child, and she would be fine. Isn't rubeola the same thing as measles?! And I know the MMR vax is attenuated and not a dead virus, has anybody heard of this causing rubeola/measles? I'm ticked that the Dr used a different word for measles so that she wouldn't put it together right away!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, the vaccines with the live virus can cause a mild case of the disease. Then the body makes the immunities to it and that's why you don't get the full disease later. That's how they work.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, that is just another name for measles and no it is not normal. My children (all 4 vaxed) never got it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• There ARE two kinds of measles and the Rubella is a mild form of measles, sometimes called German measles. It is harmless.
    The measles for which children are vaccinated can be deadly or at least cause long lasting problems. The MMR and any other vaccinations for children are life savers.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, its German measles. It is a common ADVERSE reaction to the vaccine to actually contract the virus. It is not always uncomplicated either.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• DD's doctor said that those symptoms wouldn't occur until 1-2 weeks after she got the shot. He said it was normal.

Your baby should be fine.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Rubeola is measles, yes. Those who do not have complications, such as pneumonia, do well, and in today's age, its RARELY deadly. Hell, I had them when I was a child (not sure if it was immunization caused or not - born in '84) and i'm still alive and kickin'. Live virus vaccine carry the propensity to cause the illness they're designed to "prevent."

I'm sure the doc didn't intend to mislead this mama about the vaccine induced illness, however at least he was smart enough to know and remind this mama that her DD would most likely be just fine.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's not normal, but it's not terribly uncommon either. Children which receive the MMR vaccine are at a MUCH higher risk of catching Rubella because the live virus is used in the vaccine. Thankfully, none of the illnesses we vaccinate for are deadly when under the care of a doctor - most will be fine even without a doctor. One more reason not to vaccinate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Rubella is a form of measles, but I am sure she is going to be just fine. He probably used that word so that he wouldn't scare your friend into thinking her daughter had something that was going to kill her, not to mislead her.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would trust your doc. The paperwork i got from my doc when my son had his mmr said that a common side effect is a rash.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010