Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can i make a complaint to the city about my Landlord?

We moved into a new house on the 1st. Ever since then we have been trying to get the landlord to get the porch built on the back of the house off the sliding glass door. We was telling us that he was going to have it done BEFORE we moved in and he didnt. Since then he has "promised" he will be here the next day to start building it. Well hes a No show EVERY time. So i told him i dont care if its a porch, if you could just put stairs...and of course he says "OH NOOO im building a porch on the back. Well here we are almost 2 weeks later and nothing has been done outside..its about a 5ft-6ft drop to the ground and i have a 2 year old running around..

what would you do??


Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Try the bulding inspector's office and find out what the building code is there. I know in our town in MA it would not be allowed and it whould have been done before someone moved in. I don't know what it is here ,near DC, but I see homes with nothing at the sliders often.

    Answer by elizabr at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • You shouldn't have moved in until he had it done.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • And, no I don't think you can make a complaint to the city.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • You need to get it in writing with an exact date that it will be done by. You can't do anything until then because it's just your word against his. And from here on out, you need to put all communication in writing.

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • you can serve him with a 30 day notice to get it done or you CAN report him

    Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • No, I'm pretty sure that him not building you a porch doesn't violate any land lord laws or anything.

    put a child lock on the sliding door. or cut a wooden dowel to lay in the groove so the door can't open.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • The city won't do anything about it. They can't.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • You should have never moved in if that was an issue. You may check w/your city ordinance on those things, but I highly doubt that he has do anything. New homes are sold here all the time without a porch on them. So I highly doubt that not having a porch or steps off the back sliding door is a violation of any kind of ordinance. You can buy those bars that lay in the track that would help prevent your young child from opening the sliding doors. In addition to the bar that lays on the tracks keep the doors LOCKED!

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • I would call the Health department and speak to them about this situation but I also believe you need to have it in writing that he agrees that he will have a porch built by this date and then if he does not follow thur then you may be able to do more like possiblity stop payment of rent until it is done. You should speak to a lawyer about what your rights are. I know in my state you have to have everything in writing. Why don't you google your state and your rental rights then go from there. I hope this has helped you out. I also havea 2 yrs old so I know where your coming from.

    Answer by raemommy at 3:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • Do you have any stairs that you can safely use to get in and out of that door? If not, check with your town/city code enforcement officer.

    Answer by offrdngal at 4:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2010