Is there a way to thin your yards grass?

My yard in different areas has terribly thick grass and I was wondering if you can use something to thin it out with, w/o killing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Bond 9215 Green Giant Spiked Aerator Shoesthey are called aerator shoes

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I've never heard of wanting the grass to be thicker, usually people drool over a nice thick lawn. I'd say don't feed or water it there.

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• OP here: are those basically shoes with nails on the bottom of them?
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You can do the same thing with some Golf Cleats. LOL
    You can rent a dethatcher.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We rented an aerator about a month ago, and only needed it for about 2 hours. We aerated both the front and back yards, and it looks so much nicer now. The shoes only move the soil until the next rain or so and then it settles back in. The aerator machine actually pulls plugs out so that the soil itself can expand and breath and soak up the nutrients.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 3:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• kind of like having nails... a bit more comfortable. Golf shoes wont work because the cleat parts are too short. You could also rent a mower type.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Airator shoes are not the same as thinning your lawn...that process is called thatching. And they make a rake and a power tool for that as well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Aeration promotes growth by allowing oxygen to the roots of the grass. To thin your grass you need to de-thatch it with a power rake when it is not stressed out by summer heat. If your grass is uneven throughout your yard I recommend having someone look at it. It may not be a simple fix.
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 2:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2010