How Do You Keep Your Bills Organized?

NewMom2RAD

Asked by NewMom2RAD at 3:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I put them all in the same spot on the counter top behind the salt and pepper shaker.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have a filing cabinet that I keep them in. When I get them they go into the "Need to be paid" folder and once they're paid they're moved into the "Paid bills" folder.
    Then at the end of a few months I sort them into which bill(phone, cable, hydro etc..) and in order of date and file them away for any future need.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well I have become an organize freak about this so...once the bill comes in the mail, it is opened and the due date is written on the calendar. Then the unpaid bill goes in a holder on my computer desk. After it is paid, a check mark is put through the calendar for that bill and the paperwork goes to a different section of the holder. After I've collected a few paid bills in my holder, they all go in the filing cabinet and kept for a year then shredded.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I keep unpaid bills in the check book, and store the receipts or record of payment in a drawer in the closet that I go through about once a year and either shred or store. Medical receipts I store in a separate folder.

Answer by Bmat at 3:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I put them on a section on my desk. I pay them and then I file them away in their appropriate folder in the file cabinet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Honestly I'm horrible at keeping bills organized. So I don't. I just pay them as soon as them come in. I have a list on my computer of all the bills and expenses that come in every month and as soon as they are paid, I cross them off the list.

We have our budget set up so that we have the money in our account before all the bills our due. It seems to be working well so far :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have a binder with folders for every month. I put the bill in the folder and once it's paid, I write "PAID" on it. At the end of the year, I file them and start over.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 5:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I've gone to paperless billing and do automatic payments as much as possible so the only monthly paper bills I get are life insurance premium bills and the trash bill. I keep the current bills on my dresser in a basket. When my money management program indicates that a bill is due in the next week, I just have to be sure the money is in my checking account, and if I have to write a check then I do that.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010