Do you know the rules of grammar?

Not me!

I'm taking this little online course here at work (we have a learning hub that we can sign up to take classes--they are not counted towards anything however, except maybe just give a little boost to our annual review) over grammar. Now I think I write fairly well, but I'm feeling kind of stupid right now, LOL. I understand all about the simple rules (noun, verb, pronoun, etc.), but the advanced rules...yeah they are going over my head right now. I remember going over all this stuff when I was in grade school (so many millenia ago) and it was confusing back then too!

I'm glad I don't have to think about what the predicate complement is before I write a sentence. I'd never get anything written. :p

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know the very basics. But the grammar part of english/lit classes in school just went strait over my head, under my feet and knocked me on my ass!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I know most of them. I just finished comp II this last semester and I did pretty well with the writing portion of the class. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes. I always loved English in school. Math is where I always lacked.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I know them when I see them! I may not remember what you do, when, or WHY the rules exist, but I usually recognize poor grammar when it is written incorrectly!

:o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I sure don't!
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i'm like you...know the basics...and true...i'd never get anything written if i worried about all the rules...lol!
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 3:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have a fair grasp. There are a number of moods and so forth that I am shaky on. What helped a lot when I was learning grammar was diagramming the sentences.

Answer by Bmat at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I feel pretty confident that I know the rules... Anyone remember the Schwa? LOL! I love to write, but like Blaines, I stink at math. Ugh MATH! The bane of my existence!

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was in Accelerated English in High School and majored in Secondary Ed with a Minor in English in college(didn't graduate -got married instead ) But English was my favorite subject,always. Math? No. LOL. Science and History were just so-so. But English , reading, writing term papers,etc. I loved.
    I went back to school at age 43. My accounting teacher assigned the class a written essay in order to illustrate how important writing and using correct grammar was in the job search. We worked on Resumes, using correct grammar,spelling,etc. It is so important to a prospective employer that a new hire can actually communicate.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes I do. I am in college so I need to know what the heck I am doing when I write or I will get points off my papers, but English has always been one of my stronger subjects.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010