I am asking because I just can't relate

Ok, my step sister is getting married next month - 3 hours away from where we all live ( we live in the same city ) at some fancy, dress required type of place on the lake - her family has cabins on this lake, however we would have to get a hotel, which for Aug. in this City would be around $400 a night... I know its her wedding day but how do people just expect you to drive 3 hours away and spend that type of money on THEIR wedding day??? I mean seriously... isn't that just selfish?? She has no concept of money as her mother married very well off and they even bought her a brand new house... I am just furious - we dont' have the money for this but because I love my step dad and he asked to make sure we go, we feel intitled..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd send a gift and my regrets and regards

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would tell them of your situation and why you can't go. If they have cabins around there, they should let family use them for this occasion.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If you can't afford it I wouldn't go. If they want you there so bad, maybe they should help offset the cost so you can make it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If her family has cabins there then can't you stay in one of them for the night?
    They wouldn't put you up for one night?

I definitely couldn't afford to spend $400 on a room for one night.
    If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I'm sure they'd understand that.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm sure you can find a hotel for less than $400 a night. Even if it's a 30 minute drive away from everything. If you don't have the money then just don't go. If they don't understand then so be it.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would just explain that it is impossible to afford such a night. Maybe you could just drive home that night? Tell them that you will have to leave the reception early in order to start your long drive home since you can't afford to stay. I hate bridezillas!!!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If they won't let you use one of their cabins for the night why don't you consider leaving a little early and driving back home the same night? That way you'll still be there and you won't have to pay $400 a night for a motel (by the way I wouldn't be able to afford that either).
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Can you check around the area for a cheaper place? I've heard of this type of wedding- a destination wedding. We were invited to one across the country and didn't go, but it wasn't a loved relative in our case, it was the son of a friend.

Answer by Bmat at 3:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would call around to the hotels just outside the city limits...to see if you can secure a lower rate. Explain that you are attending a wedding from out of town--maybe they'll give you a promotional rate.

When I got married, I secured a block of rooms at a Hilton Hotel, 3 miles from where the ceremony and reception was to take place, and it only cost $99 per night per room/double occupancy (up to 4 in a room). Most of my out of town guests were couples and some had small children--so it didn't cost them much to stay in a 4 star hotel.

Ask your step-dad if he will ask your step sister if she could make some phone calls and do the same for her out of town guests! It won't cost her any money!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I had a destination wedding. My husband and I wanted to get married on the beach. His parents lived at a beach town. The rest of the family had to drive 3 hours and get a hotel if they wanted to attend. I didn't pressure anyone into coming and I made sure that everyone understood that I would not be offended if they weren't able to make it. It was OUR wedding and we wanted to get married on the beach. I am not made of money, my mom didn't marry money, and I didnt' marry into money. But it was OUR wedding the way we wanted it. I paid for my sister to attend, as I knew she wouldn't be able to afford it and my husband paid for his mother, as he knew she wouldn't have been able to afford to attend.

If you can not afford it, then state nicely that you are unable to attend due to having to make the extra arrangemets. If she doesn't understand, then she is being selfish.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010