Learning to walk

After a baby learns to stand up by himslelf, aprox. how long does it takes them to learn to walk? Mine is 7 months and stood up by himslef today!!

blessingAH

Asked by blessingAH at 3:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It differs in every child. My son took his first steps at 9 months, then didn't walk again until he was just about 11 months.
    My daughter started standing at 7 months, took her first steps at 9 months and is now running around like crazy and she just turned 11 months old two days ago.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It shouldn't be long now. I hope you are thinking about child proofing the place soon. Once they are mobile, you want them to be safe. If you have stairs you may want to put a gate across it so your learning to walk baby doesn't at one point take a tumble, any cleaners will need to be put out of harms way that could be in lower cabinets, and anything else you can think of that your baby can get into once they go exploring.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Every child is different. My daughter pulled up at 7 mo., cruised at 8.5 mo., crawled at 9 mo. and walked at 10 mo. My son is almost 8 mo., crawls and pulls up but hasn't really started cruising yet (just a little). I know a little boy who started cruising at 9 mo. but didn't walk without holding on to something until he was 18 mo. (He was more than capable of it...just super cautious)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It depends on what you mean by standing. Did your child pull himself to a stand on something like furniature or another object, or did he just stand up in the middle of the floor not touching anything. My son started pulling himself to a stand on everything just before he turned 7 months. He could stand in the middle of the floor not touching anything for a little bit of time, but i had to put him there, at 8 months. Started cruising at 8 months. He started walking at 9 months. He could not get into a standing position by himself without touching anything till after he could walk.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is so different for every child! With my first it was only another 2 months, with my 2nd it was a good 6 months!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2010