From a biblical stand point

If breasts were created to feed, and to comfort our young, how is it indecent to breast feed in public? Or without being covered, for that matter?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the world where the Bible was written breasts were already both a functional and sexual thing. But women also weren't leaving the house the way we do today... Breast feeding was their only option and it was done at home because that's where the women were. Beyond going to market to get what they needed for dinner, women weren't out in public so much, so it was easier for them to simply stay home and care for their kids.

Today, women are out and about with their kids much much much more! Either way, it's far from indecent. I have never understood this twisted view of the human body that society has today... There is NOTHING offensive about the human body - NOTHING! If someone is so uncomfortable about a bare breast or a nursing mother/child they shouldn't leave their house... I find nothing more offensive than some jackass that seems to know what is best for my baby!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Its not the feeding that makes you indecent, its HOW you do it. If you are exposing yourself, then you are being immodest, which goes against what the Bible says. There are ways to BF a baby in public with out exposing yourself that do not include covering the child's head.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree, it's not indecent. There are just a lot of closed minded and intolerant people out there that feel the need to complain about it.
    I preferred to remain covered up but that's my own body issues. I'm not offended or think it's improper or indecent to see a woman breastfeeding.

I see adults eating their food right in front of me every day. Maybe the ones who have a problem with it should go eat THEIR lunch in the bathroom or with a blanket over their head.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Its not, but it still doesn't mean I want to see it while I am eating in a restaurant. I think there are certain places it is respectful not to do it in front of the people. Hoever if I am somewhere like the beach or mall and I am not sitting in one spot it does not bother me. My husband hasd also said it makes him uncomfortable.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's not.
    The only thing indecent with breasts in public is when they're getting fondled by another grown person. That is something that I could do without seeing!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's not. IA with kiwismommy.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's not indecent to bf in public. I prefer to be discreet and I think most women are the same way.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• There is no need to breastfeed in public. We have many other options. You can find a place to do it in private or you can pump before you leave home and take a bottle with you. It is about modesty and protecting those who would rather not see your bare breasts. There's nothing wrong with feeding your baby in a group of your female friends if you and they are all comfortable with it. Many men are made uncomfortable when a woman other than their wives expose their breasts for them to see. Common courtesy says we don't do that. And all my girls breastfeed, and not one of them does it in public because this is what they have been taught.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do not think it is indecent at all, I am happy to see a mother breastfeeding her child! If someone has an issue in public, then stay home. We are too worried about what other people think than taking care of our children.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 4:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't think it's indecent so long as it isn't used as an excuse to be an exhibitionist. If they aren't in use by the child, keep them covered (the breasts not the baby). However I have seen on the rare occasion a woman use the baby as an excuse to bare her breasts whenever and whereever by keeping both exposed while feeding the child on one, or leaving them exposed while putting the child back in it's carrier.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2010