Have you ever grown a pumpkin or watermelon in your garden?

I've never tried growing any of these plants because I thought they need a lot of space to grow. I've grown cucumbers and zucchini though and they were successful even in a big planter. I don't think you can grow any of these plants in a big pot. They need to be planted directly in the ground. right.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Pumpkins and squash CAN be planted in a big pot. The vines won't stay in the pot; they'll spread out and down to the ground. You can move the vines to keep them around the pot rather than letting them spread all over the yard.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We planted both and yes, we planted them outside in our garden. I don't think they would have room to grow in a big pot.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, watermelons need room to roam, the plants spider out and yes, they have to be directly planted in the ground. Our's are almost ready!!! Yummmm
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 4:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ya I don't think you can do a pot on these. I planted watermelon last year in the ground and this year I have Big Max and Jack-Be-Little pumpkins in the ground. They are doing beautifully!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Gotta go in the ground...yep they need lots of room ..because the grow on vines. We had both in our garden.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• no, but i would love to! (i live in a small apartment)
    katherine.pryde

Answer by katherine.pryde at 4:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Pumpkins take up a bit more space than squash and cucumbers. You can buy all of these, as far as I know, in smaller vine size. The fruit is smaller, too, but they don't take up as much room in your garden. Something else I've done is to plant the vining plants along with the spring producing plants- lettuce and peas, for example, and by the time the vines are pretty long, the spring vegetables are done and that space is available. Another method is to plant the vine crops near corn plants since corn needs to be spaced anyway, and the vines can grow through the corn.

Answer by Bmat at 4:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have a huge garden and plant mine directly into the soil however, you could pot container them and just keep the vines close around the pots so the don't attach into the ground around them
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010