vaccine exemptions?

Hello everyone! I've pretty much decided I'm not going to vaccinate my son anymore. He hasn't had any since 6 months, so its been 3 years. I want to homeschool him, but I am still undecided so I have started looking into exemptions. I am currently in tennessee, but may end up in georgia or florida before my son starts school. We have no "medical" reasons, so I'm looking into a religious exemption. Only thing is, I'm not religious. We are in no way affiliated with a church of any kind. Would it still be possible to claim a religious exemption? Can they deny you? What happens then? How hard is it to be approved for an exemption. Should I get my ducks in a row well before school, or wait till its time to start?

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• This is a link that gives links to many state & country's vaccine exemption forms: http://www.unhinderedliving.com/statevaccexemp.html

Some states are very strict with their requirements, while others not so much, so here is a link to each state's requirements that indicate to you how strict they are and possibly give you an idea of how much preparation you will need to do, if any: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-exem.htm
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Why do you need an exemption? Is it illegal to not have your child vaccinated?

Where I live it's recommended but not mandatory. How can they tell you that you HAVE to? You can't force someone to put something into their body that they don't want there. That's like medical rape.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Its not "illegal" but I believe mandatory unless you have an exemption.

I think its ridiculous.
    ToriBabe1221

Comment by ToriBabe1221 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Most public school require you to have an exemption. I'm sorry, I actually do not have an answer to your question. Even though my one son has autism, I still believe in vaccinations, but I feel that it is your decision on what you want to do. I know several parents who do not, and they get a form from the school. I do know that there are several doctors offices in the area that will not see kids who are not vaccinated. It's been a real hassle for some families I know.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I understand that some states also have a "philosophical" examption....you just don't want it, and that's that. In CT it has to be medical or religious, but you can state that your religious beliefs keep you from vaccinating, and we do not ask you what your religion is, or to prove anything. Kind of "philosphical", no?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• As you see you're going to get a lot of bashing in this section. Vaccines tend to be a hot topic here because people don't tend to have a clue. I did answer you in the R&B section, let me know if you need anything. Neither of my older two are vaccinated (3 & 4) and I'm not vaxing my next child either (due in Dec). I have all the information & would be more than willing to help you if you have any questions. Also make sure you join the Choosing not the Vaccinate group.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm curious? Who bashed her? I think I missed something...
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son's schools send home the vaccine record forms and ask the parents to fill it out and bring it back. At the bottom of the form is a space for exemptions and the parents can check one of the reasons listed and sign off on it. I can't remember what all exemptions there are, as my kids are vaxed and I just tape the vax slip from the doctor on the form.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2010