vaccine exemptions?

Hello everyone! I've pretty much decided I'm not going to vaccinate my son anymore. He hasn't had any since 6 months, so its been 3 years. I want to homeschool him, but I am still undecided so I have started looking into exemptions. I am currently in tennessee, but may end up in georgia or florida before my son starts school. We have no "medical" reasons, so I'm looking into a religious exemption. Only thing is, I'm not religious. We are in no way affiliated with a church of any kind. Would it still be possible to claim a religious exemption? Can they deny you? What happens then? How hard is it to be approved for an exemption. Should I get my ducks in a row well before school, or wait till its time to start?

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not vaccinate my children at all. Depending on your state you may be allowed religious or personal exemptions. No matter the state you don't really have to have any "religious" reasons, because just about any religion can qualify in one way or another.

I have the map with the exemption info and links on my website: http://sabrinambowen.webs.com/antivaccinemovement.htm  From there you should be able to get exemption paperwork and information. If you need any help just message me. You can also *and should* check out the Chooseing Not To Vaccinate Group here on CM. We have all the information there as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can see spacing them out,but not getting them puts your child and others at high risk. I see this as selfish behavior.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's your decision, however, IMHO, if you dont' truly have a religious exemption then find an alternative because that's just using someone else's faith to fulfill your personal needs and that's just not right. I feel it's disrespectful and devalues that religion to just lie about it. Again, just my humble opinion.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Proof that dumb is forever.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• NO, you cannot claim a religioius expemption without being in a church. To have a religious exemption, you need a clergyperson to sign the waiver based on that religions beliefs. I don't see any clergyperson just signing the waiver because you don't want to vaccinate your child. You don't have a religious reason to not vaccinate, you don't have a medical reason either...it is a personal reason and not all states allow them. If you are going to homeschool, then it doesn't matter. Please don't use religion when it is not what your really believe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• that's great...it's your decision. i have four girls and do not vaccinate any of them. i have very strong opinions about vaccinations.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 4:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• it depends on the state, here in MI you don't have to state a reason, just sign the waiver
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• google it! thats wat i did! my state has one for like personal reasons so we did that! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• NO, you cannot claim a religioius expemption without being in a church. To have a religious exemption, you need a clergyperson to sign the waiver based on that religions beliefs

What if she goes to a UU church? Coudn't someone from there sign off on it
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2010