WHAT DO I DO?

Ok so dd is 4 and for the last couple of months she has been getting these little red bumps on her legs that she has been scratching like crazy. (I keep her nails really short btw) I have taken her to the dr twice and they gave us two different creams to try neither one has helped and she is scratching to the point where she is breaking open her skin and she is bleeding. I don't know what else to do. We have a terrible health insurance plan and the only dr she can she is a total moron so i don't know what to do. she has these scratches and scabs all over her legs and its looks terrible. (it doesn't really seem to bother her at all...like it doesn't make her upset at all) I just don't know what to do. I called the dr AGAIN and instead of making an appt she just prescribed ANOTHER cream over the PHONE! I was like are you freaking kidding me??? I would really appreciate any suggestions! thanks!

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We had something like this, right where her swimsuit bottoms were. Figured it was from her falling in the grass. Take an oatmeal bath, we used cortizone 10 cream on each bite and that really helped. Also, give her benadryl non-drowsy every 6 hrs or so and see what it does to see if this is an allergy of some sort. Does she run and play in the grass? Getting exposed to anything different? different detergent? bath wash? I ask, cause this was the same list I did until I figured it out. It took a couple of weeks, but they finally went away.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Do you have any pets? Could they be flea bites?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• consulting with the doctor is the BEST thing you can do. We can't see these bumps, and frankly it really is 'dangerous' to take medical advice from total strangers on the Internet. I understand that your insurance may be limiting your options, but if I wasn't able to get a reliable in network doctor then I would go out of my network and pay for the extra charges. It's not that you can't see anyone else, it's that your insurance won't help pay for the cost of seeing anyone else.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Awww, that's so frustrating for you I'm sure! Has DD tried any new foods lately? Have you used a different lotion, bath wash, detergent, etc on her? Could be an allergy. My DD was on soy as an infant, but then she was ale to drink milk at 2. Now she's 3 and has suddenly developed a milk allergy again! Have you moved? Could be something to do with the fiber in the carpet or the cleaner that was used on it. Ummm, gosh there are so many possibilities! Chiggers, fleas, poison ivy, pesticides, animal dander? Just try to remember if you've changed anything in her environment and remove it. Or, you may just have to get her tested for allergies. I have crappy insurance too, so anytime I can avoid the Dr, I do. GL momma!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ShelbysHope-- No nothing different. and they tested for a grass allergey..thats not it!

Laila-May- We do have a cat but, we got the cat last month and dd has had these for WAY longer!

thanks ladies!
    momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• A&D is our cure-all at home.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 4:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• A&D?????
    momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would recommend calamine lotion for the itchiness of the skin. You might want to check first with the pharmicist. However, these symptoms could be a whole bunch of childhood things. It also could be mosquito bites too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• any new furniture that could have bed bugs or anything?
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Witch Hazel to cleanse & soothe. Benedryl cream to stop the itchiness. Could be heat rash, bug bites, allergic reaction to something, Swimmer's itch, the possibilities are endless. If she has been swimming in a lake or pond, it could definately be swimmer's itch. Everytime I got swimmer's itch (no one else in my family gets it), I have to go on steroids to get rid of it. Wash all her clothes & bedding in hot water with ALL Free & Clear detergent.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010