Anyone have a VBAC?

I had an emergency c-section with my first , but have been considering a VBAC with this pregnancy. I have heard there are risks. What was your experience? Did you feel that you made the right choice?

sophiesmom07

Asked by sophiesmom07 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I tried but I couldn't. My friend had a baby a month after me and had a successful VBAC.

There are risks no matter which way you have your baby. I think the benefits outweigh the risks for a VBAC though. That's just my humble opinion.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I too had an unplanned, emergency c-sect with my first and had a successful VBAC 17 months later. It was the best choice I could have made! I did a lot of research on the safety of it, and really, the only reason why they suggest you have a repeat c-sect is to avoid getting sued. I figured, if I NEED the surgery, go right ahead, but If I don't need it, it is crazy to volunteer for it. The risks of a surgical birth are higher than the risks of a VBAC. I ended up having a 3 hour labor, no meds and only pushed 3 times to get the baby out! Of course you don't know until you try what will happen until you get there, but it sure does not hurt to try! It makes me sick to think if I had showed up at a different hospital (where they don't allow VBACs) that I would have been cut open.
    My sister and BF also had VBACs and thought it was a good choice.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The risks are greater with a repeat cesarean which is why the VBAC is a safer choice for most.

I haven't had a cesarean myself, but am passionate about collecting and sharing info. I have a ton, if you'd like to see it, let me know!

At the very least, check out:
    www.ican-online.org/

Good luck!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010