At the end of the day, don't we all want the same thing?

Regardless of political affiliation, at the end of the day, don't most of us want the same thing? A safe environment where our families can thrive and enjoy their life, even if we disagree on the way in which that should be achieved? I guess what I'm getting at, is regardless of where we stand politically, what is something that we all have in common? Can you give me something?

And another question, and this may be a bit difficult for some, but...

What is something positive that you can say about those who support a political party that you oppose? Be open-minded here.

I'll start. I think that when it comes down to it, almost all of us want peace.

And as for an opposing party for me which would be the Democratic party I think that even though I tend to disagree with liberals, I'll give them this.They do tend to be against discrimination of race, sexual orientation, financial status, etc., and that's a great.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I consider myself a moderate, so technically I love both parties and hate both parties simultaneously. Dems have excellent equality stances, and Reps have excellent business stances. Both ignore small business too much, but I guess that is because of the Lobby.

And I agree we do all want to live in a country that has limited reach into our house. However, neither party seems able to achieve that either.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am a registered republican. My husband is a registered democrat. I know that we want a lot of the same things. It's actually kinda funny. We actually agree on a lot of the same things, just not how to get there.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yes, at the end of the day i want to get laid too.

Oh, youre talking politics. Yes, in the end most want the same thing, but it's getting there that we all disagree on.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Agreed.

Personal responsibility and being Independent are ideals that many support- I do as well.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• A safe environment where our families can thrive and enjoy their life, even if we disagree on the way in which that should be achieved?

I think the problem isn't just the methodology - it's the definition of things like "safe" "thrive" and "enjoy". Does "safe" mean protecting people from salt at their local Applebee's? Is "thriving" happening only if one parents a certain way? Can one person "enjoy" what another person finds tedious? One family considers itself safe when they are allowed to own a weapon, another considers itself safe when nobody is allowed to own one. That is far more divergent than a different path to the same destination - it's the exact opposite, one of many forks in the road.

As for saying something nice - at least the Democrats, unlike the Pubs, have managed to shame most of their bigots into keeping their mouths shut.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• that's a great thing *
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am a registered republican. My husband is a registered democrat. I know that we want a lot of the same things. It's actually kinda funny. We actually agree on a lot of the same things, just not how to get there."

GREAT answer. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• guess layh & i were ont he same page there...lol
    samurai_chica

• Come on ladies, there are a handful of you who I feel NEED to answer this, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Maybe a PM would be the more appropriate way to elicit a reponse from certain members?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010