Isn't two years old a little young for preschool?

I was always of the belief that preschools usually start accepting children at the age of three and four years old. Do they really accept children so young?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It keeps getting younger and younger. Pretty soon they will want to take them from you at the hospital. I don't think you have to send them, though, in most states.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I went to preschool at 2 and again at 3 and went to kindergarten at 4. I've always been a year ahead and it's never been an issue. Not all kids can handle this tho
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think preschool is a bad idea anyway. First it was kindergarten and then they add 12 yrs of schooling to that. Now they have preschool. No wonder we have a rise in drop out rates. Kids are sick of school by the time they are teens. In answer to your question, yes 2 is too young. My dd said her son can go once he turns 3 so in her state 3 is the youngest. Sad but she has to return to the work force.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Both of my kids started preschool at 3...my oldest will go to K at 5 but my youngest I will hold back till he's 6. It all depends on the child and what they need. Preschool is important if you are planning on sending your children to school
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They want you to pay for them at 2 and 3 to go to preschool. I am a stay at home mom with twin boys that will be 3 in sept. We don't have the extra money to send them to preschool. I take 1hour out of our day just to do colors, abc's, shapes, and counting. We read books every night. The only thing they are missing out on is being around other kids their age, but I don't think you should pay for school no matter the childs age.
    itsmesirenax

Answer by itsmesirenax at 5:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Private pre-schools will sometimes have 2 year old preschool programs. I actually am a pre-k teacher at such a school. We do not accept infants but we do have rooms for as little as 18 months. At that age it is more of a day care. We just call it school. It makes the little ones feel important. They play most of the day with their teacher and 8 other "friends". They have a circle time in the morning and afternoon. It lasts 10-15 minutes and they sing songs, do flash cards with colors and shapes....stuff like that. My daughter goes there (she is 2 1/2) b/c I work in the same school and I get an awesome discount on child care! They do not force anything on the kiddos and it is mostly play and social interactions. When they "move up" to pre school (3 & 4 year olds) and the pre-k (4 & 5 years olds) we work more on letters, numbers, colors etc.... Hope that helps, although, this may not be the case in all schools.
    welte519

Answer by welte519 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My son is going at 3. Only for 3 hr periods 3 days a week. He is a only child so i want him to interact w/ other kids. I say it can wait until 4 but my child has a speech delay thats why i want him to go at 3. Honestly do what ever you gut tells you. You are the mommy and you know whats best for your child.
    chuggysmommy08

Answer by chuggysmommy08 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010