Do you believe in "turning the other cheek"?

Regardless of whether or not you're a Christian, do you practice this, or try to?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've thought about this a lot and tried to figure out what is the correct way to interpret this command. I do believe that I have a responsibility to protect my family. If someone was trying to hurt one of my kids it would be a fight to the death. I also think that I have to protect myself because my kids need me. On the other hand, if somebody says something nasty to me I try not to respond in kind. I try to remain courteous even when others are being ugly. I do believe in doing that.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Nope, I believe in holding people accountable for their actions, not giving them a free pass with no consequences (see: gimme gimme gimme mine mine mine everyone gets a trophy generation)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No but I believe in moving that cheek away from the offender

Answer by admckenzie at 4:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes I do. I don't think there is any advantage gained to always go at someone for something. However, I also notice that God only gave us 2 cheeks. (those on the rear don't count)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No but I surely will turn theirs!
    TexasPride85

Answer by TexasPride85 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No. You slap my on the cheek, I'm gonna knock your teeth down your throat. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and believe everyone is a good person. But once you prove to me that's wrong, I see no reason to continue to give you that benefit. And if you don't have respect for me, I see no reason to respect you or allow you to continue to disrespect me... It's that simple.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yes
    BUT
    warning****
    I only have two cheeks

once-shame on you
    Twice=shame on me

do not think there is a third, so I will not give them a chance=no rule to follow and no more cheeks
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it really depends on the circumstance. In some cases turning the other cheek is the wisest choice, in others it makes you an accomplice to a bad action. I think that whatever the action one should use prudence
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yeah i believe to turn the other cheek & you should always have faith in god
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do believe in this, to a certain extent. Afterall we are all human and humans are imperfect who make mistakes-again and again and again.
    We should however be held accountable for our mistakes especially when we harm others in the process. Do you take the time to acknowledge your wrongdoing and apologize? Do you respect others enough to learn from your mistakes, and try not to hurt others again?
    If yes, then I will turn my cheek each time you stumble. But the minute you brush off your stumble, and make it seem as though I am at fault for YOUR wrong doing, or hurtful ways, then buh bye.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010