How can I get my daughter to eat better?

My daughter is two and only weighs twenty one pounds... She doesn't eat anything really. I have been able to get her to eat cereal and macaroni & cheese. She keeps getting sick because she isn't getting the nutrition that she needs. I am starting to get very concerned.

Megan913

Asked by Megan913 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh boy..thats not good. If she's getting sick because of her lack of nutrition...I would ask your pediatrician for some advice. Maybe you can get her to drink pediasure or some other kind of vitamin supplement for toddlers. Continue to offer new,nutritional foods daily..but ask the ped for sure. Good luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yes, please ask pediatrician for some advice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Start with the things she is eating: make sure you are only using whole milk, add extra cheese and veggies or meat to the mac/ cheese. Even if she balks at the veggies, she will be getting a little more nutrition. You can even cook the macaroni in vegetable "juice" like the water packed in canned green beans/ corn/ etc If you qualify for WIC, get their advice, or ask the pedi for a referral to a nutritionist.
    What does she like to drink? Can we play around with that a little too?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have talked to her pediatrician, he told me to have her drink some pediasure but she throws that up. It doesn't sit well with her sensitive belly. And then he told me to give her some boost kids essentials. But I haven't been able to find them everywhere.
    Im at a loss here. There are no prescribed vitamins for a child her age. Im just starting to freak out. I offer her nutritious food every day, every meal. I have even tried eating it in front of her and exaggerated about how good it is and tried to make eating it look fun... But she just continues to give me this really priceless face and tells me... "no no... ewwww... yike." Does any one know where I can find the boost kids essentials?
    Megan913

Comment by Megan913 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Google it and they have a spot where they tell you where you can buy it. I would send the link but I do not know how to do it so you just click on it. Easier to Google it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• kjrn79- I have recently gotten her to drink some really good juices... I have honestly tried your suggestion about the juice from the canned green beans. she could tell the difference cause she wouldn't eat it... She can't have whole milk. She is allergic to it..
    She poops blood when she drinks whole milk... please help with any advice that you have... Im open for suggestions (if i havne't already tried it)
    Megan913

Comment by Megan913 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• elizabr- Thank you. I will do that.
    Megan913

Comment by Megan913 (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• In addition to the other advice, it helped a whole lot to let my daughter "help" prepare the food, that's how I got her to start eating salads, now she loves them. I'd have her rip up the lettuce and put it into the bowls.
    Elsasmom

Answer by Elsasmom at 5:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• What type of milk does she drink? And then what kind of cheese? I'll ask the nutritionist at work for ya! Has she been to a GI specialist and/or an allergy specialist? We have GOT to figure this out!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• kjrn79- she drinks 2% milk its the only one that doesn't completely constipate her. or make her sick... and she will eat american cheese but that's it. She has been to an allergy specialist but not a GI specialist... Im starting to get really worried about her... I fianlly found those boost kids essetials.... She threw them up... Im so lost at what else to do... i have tried what feels like everything... Please please please help.
    Megan913

Comment by Megan913 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010