1 1/2 days since i stopped nursing i swear my LO is having withdrawals or something lol

shes been kind of warm this morning nothingtoo bad just a light fever.... shes been sleeping ALL morning and its now 230 in the afternoon and shes sleeping again! she usually just takes one nap IF that in the day time. so this is strange.

did ur child do weird things like this when s/he stopped nursing?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I swear my son got sick EVERY time I went to stop nursing him! When we finally did stop He was fine with it...little stinker!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• :( its so sad im sure she is sad
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Is there a specific reason you stopped nursing before she was ready? Do you know you do not HAVE to wean them by a specific age? Just asking!

My son has yet to stop nursing..15 mos. He'll stop when he is ready though I am sure. I figure the health benefits and the "nursing as a secret mommy weapon" benefits as well are great to us both.

If he is ready to stop on his own and does I doubt highly he'll react badly. I suppose if I were to have an unexpected pregnancy my milk might dry up and he might be upset or react with tantrums to the milk being dry, but maybe he'd be happy to dry nurse too. Don't know, let's hope it doesn't happen!

I do know when he has not nursed for a long while and suddenly decides he wants to, I can feel the tension in him. Is that what you mean?

I am sure this is hard for both of you. Perhaps she is getting ill and putting it off for another week would be warranted.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 8:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• the best thing for her right now is breastmilk! if she is getting sick, nursing will help for many reasons - as i'm sure you already know. why do you feel you have to stop right now? maybe giving her a little more time and a chance to decide when is right for her would be extremely beneficial. it is wonderful that you made it so long! i'm not trying to pressure you or anything, just wondering why you feel the need to stop right now, especially since she was down to just night nursing.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Good luck with those that believe that a child will stop nursing when he/she is ready!!! It happens but not always... my daughter (now 7) was 10 months when she did not want to nurse anymore but we faced a hard week at the hospital and i guess the tension lower my milk production. she was drinking breast milk in bottle while I was working so we just started her with formula but I wished to nurse her longer.
    my son was almost 2 when I weaned him, he did not want to let go mommy! and my 17 months baby was weaned this week! she has a hard time to sleep all night but it happened before, only thing I used to nurse her back to sleep. I'm resting better and I decided to stop nursing because it was painful. guess low milk production and teething!
    I hope this changes will go smoothly on both of you. We all have reasons to make our decisions, most important is to love our little ones whether we nurse them or not! Hugs!
    roxipoet

Answer by roxipoet at 11:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• roxipoet, I appreciate your difference of opinion, but what exactly do you mean by "It happens but not always.." in reference to children deciding they'll eventually not want to nurse?

Eventually they lose the ability to nurse and just can not nurse anymore. There is no such thing as "never self weaning". They always do. 2 is actually a bare minimum age for self-weaning, most don't self-wean til at least 2.5.. The oldest a child could nurse is when they lose their ability between 6-8. Most of us would prefer they wean a bit younger than that, but there really is no such thing as a child nursing forever. Most people I've known who've allowed their children to self-wean, they weaned between 2 and 5.. If they wean before 2, usually mom gave bottles/too much solids/cow's milk/became pregnant/encouraged weaning, etc. I'm ok with longer term nursing. I know some are not.

Just clearing that up. Good luck to you too.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i appreciate the ppl that stuck to my question.

i am choosing to quit because its what i as her parent am choosing to do. its been 3 days now and shes doing great!
    I know i do not have to stop at a certain time. i appreciate the responses but i wish people would stick to the main question and not go off on something else.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2010