• In the Spotlight:

so we are debating whether its worth spending money to build a underground swimming pool or just buying the above ground pools, is it worth building if so is maintance expensive,and fiber glass or cement?Whoever has one I would like your opinon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My Mom and Dad had put in a stainless steel side and cement bottom pool. In the long run it's cheaper. You don't have to worry about new liners every so many years. Just once every 5 to 7 years you have to empty it and paint the bottom.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• well im in so. cal. and know no one who has an above ground pool. I have no idea how they work or the maintenance required... so I can not speak to them.

I also know no one who has a fiberglass lining. Accept my mothers neighbor back in the mid west... I think it has something to do with cold winters. So I can not speak to those either.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• (i ran out of characters)

'We have an in ground custom pool.... and love it. It IS expensive but Im sure you wouldnt consider it unless you could afford it. We made sure to make it pretty with a water fall so even when we are not using it we have the benefit of the calming sounds. We have a service that comes out weekly and maintains the pool and they keep an eye on the equipment. It is a wonderful quick healthy activity for the kids that needs no planning and we tend to be the hang out house... which is good.

sahlady

• Whether installing an inground pool is "worth it" depends a lot on where you live, how long you plan to stay there, and how much you will use it. If you are planning on selling your house anytime soon I would skip doing an inground pool because it will not increase the price of your house as much as it will cost you, but if your family swims a lot and you plan to stay there forever inground might be a good investment for you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We have an in-ground pool and if I had to do it again, I would just get a nice above ground pool. We have a basic small-to-medium size pool and it cost us about $30k to put in (with the concrete deck and all). It's a good pool overall, but we could buy a new above ground pool every few years and still not spend $30k on them. There's always something it seems that needs to be fixed. Of course the downside to having an above ground is that unless you put some serious money into building a deck, you won't have a place to set up lounge chairs and patio furniture. With an inground you need to take serious safety measures to keep children out when they aren't supposed to be in it, but with an above ground all you need to do is remove and secure the ladder. Make a list of pros and cons and see how you feel, but I wouldn't do the inground again personally.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Just know that an inground pool never RAISES the value of a property.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am the office manager of a contractor that installs above ground pools. I own an above ground pool. My father has an inground pool. Ingrounds...10's of thousands of dollars for purchase and install, problems with them cracking or "popping out" the earth is always expanding and contracting beneath and around the pool. This is not to say they are not worth having. But they are expensive and so is the service on them. We will open an above ground in the spring for 100 bucks, an inground is 219 or more. My above ground was 2 thousand in parts and the install, had I had to pay for it would have been around 750. They are much easier to maintain, service and or replace. You can even have them sunk in the ground if you like. Inground pools have plumping that runs beneath a concrete apron, so if it goes, so does your sidwalk around the pool...just food for thought.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010