Do you...

When you pass a baby/child in a store and they are waving and saying "hi!" do you say anything back? My 17 m/o waved at at least 5 people in the store and none of them waved back. For those that don't, why? My daughter LOVES to be waved at!!!

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 6:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always do. I can't really help it, it's kind of an instinct. lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• my kids do it all the time, My 4 year old son will hold a convo with anyone, they usually all say hi back tho....
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do. But I have heard people say you shouldn't do that because it will make the children more comfortable with strangers. I work with the public and have been told more than once by co-workers not to speak to or wave to children if I'm not waiting on their parents because people will get upset or think I'm a pedophile or something... I don't know if I really buy in to all that, but I guess it could be a reason why not to wave.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I always wave/say hi. Even when it pisses off the parent!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wave back because I think it is so cute.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can't resist but I can understand why people won't.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I love it when kids wave or say hi to me in a store so I can say hi or wave back to them. I also like kids that make funny faces and you make a funny face back and they just giggle it makes me want to giggle!! You call that a God Wink!! When I hear a kid in a store that is hollering for Mommy I start looking for them and mine is 24 yrs old!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My four year old used to get really upset when people didn't wave it her. She would yell "Mommy why don't they wave at me?" Right now my 17m/o just keeps waving like a crazy person. I don't mind people waving and just because she waves at you doesn't mean she is going to let anyone walk off with her.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• OMGosh! I always respond to a little one (or anyone for that matter), who waves or says hi. It's especially funny in a grocery store when you see the same little one in every isle & they still say Hi every time. I get to where I try to say hi before the little can & it becomes a cute game. My little ones (3 & 4) always say hi to people & my four year old will then ask how their day is going. If someone doesn't respond to him, he'll say, "I hope your day gets better!" because I have told him that some people may be having a bad day & they just aren't in the mood to socialize. I LOVE kids! They are just so adorable!
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010