Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I sue my mother in law for what she did yesterday?

Yesterday, My mother in law attacked me for no reason and my mother witnessed it. She punched me several times. She pulled almost all of my hair out. I have like 3 or 4 bald spots, I am so ashamed I wear a hat everywhere now . My hair was the only thing I liked about myself...She busted my lip in 2 places. My Arms,Legs,Back,Neck,and head has never hurt so bad in my LIFE. However, she has a bipolar disorder that makes her lose her mind she is on all kinds of meds to keep her sane. She went to jail for 12 hours. She is now out and laughing about what she did and that My husband,children and I are now homeless due to the fact we can't stay there not knowing if she would kill someone or not. I was wondering if I could sue her for the pain and mental anguish it has caused. The police have pictures of everything. We just do not know what to do, and she obviously has not learned anything.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (15)
  • You can press charges, and probably sue. Contact a lawyer.

    Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • you can press criminal charges take pics of every little mark and bald spot but keep in mind they will make you get a restraining order against her for a year

    Answer by jennette0704 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • I would contact a injury lawyer. That is going to be your best source of information. Did you not press charges? How was she only in jail for 12 hours? If you chose not to press charges that will hurt any case you might have. Good luck.

    Answer by StevensWife at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • get a restraining order.

    is she rich or something? what are you gonna sue her for? I know I'm stereotyping, but she sounds like trailer trash or something so I don't really assume she has anything to sue for

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • Did you press charges? They may make her pay restitution to you if she is found guilty. But, if she has bi-polar then she probably can't be responsible for her actions.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • You should go to the ER or your Dr. right away just to be checked out & to have it documented that you were injured. Take pics of any visible injuries & file a police report. Don't let anymore time go by, take care of it immediately.

    Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • I wouldn't sue. I would howevere, prosecute to the fullest. Sueing her won't solve the family issues. Plus if they aren't very wealthy you might get a judgement, but you may never see a dime. Your husband would be in a really screwed up position inside his family circle. Concentrate on your family and a place to stay and pray the DA files formal charges. She would not see my kids again for a very, very long time if it were me.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • Oh, if you did it on her property you can sue her homeowners insurance/renters insurance for injuries sustained on her property.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • i would think so. especialy if the police have proof. i would contact a lawyer asap.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

  • i suggest you contact a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. tell the lawyer every tiny detail. they will help you.

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.