Would you be a little miffed with your inlaws for this?

Scenario: My daughters (4 &5) are on a vacation with their grandparents and three other cousins. My inlaws do this "grandparent vacation" every summer and it is a very big deal to them which they plan for months in advance. They are supposed to be bringing my daughters back Sunday night, with the other grandkids in tow.
Today, I received a birthday invitation from a girl that was in my 5 year old's preschool class this year. The party will be this Sunday starting at 12pm. I would really like for my daughter to attend this party since she hasn't seen any of these kids since May.
I called my inlaws and admittedly, I was a little bit wimpy about asking if they could bring them back earlier that day. I explained that she received a birthday invitation from a girl in her class, and asked if they could bring her back by 12 so she could make it.
I didn't say how much I want her to go because (cont'd)

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 6:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't want them to feel like I was pressuring them. They said they wouldn't be able to because they told the grandkids they would take them to an amusement park on the way back home. Might I mention that they will be going to this same amusement park the Thursday before? They didn't think it would be fair to the other grandkids to miss it, to get my daughter back home in time for the party. Of course, they could always take the other grandkids there on the way back, but I didn't mention this. I feel disappointed and a little annoyed that she has to miss this birthday party. Tell me honestly, are my feelings out of line.
    lovemydivas

Comment by lovemydivas (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Its just a birthday party IMO, there will be more to come. Not something you should really trip out about
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'd say let her have her vacation. There will be other parties.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Umm I think that this question, no offense, is a little childish. You want your child to go to a party because she hasnt seen her preschool friends? Dont you think she would be having a lot of fun with her cousins and grandparents? IMHO I wouldnt have even thought of the party as any big deal.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I can get that you're a little upset that you want her to go the party- but if the vacation was planned in advance I think it's acceptable for her to miss the party... Is it possible to call the mom and set up a play date since she'll be missing the party??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• sorry but IMHO you're a bit out of line. Your daughters are on a trip, having fun with their cousins and grandparents. The other girl's mommy should have sent out invites with more notice than less than a week, so IMHO that was inconsiderate of her, nothing on your part. But your inlaws shouldn't have to rearrange their schedule that they've know for a while for this late invite to a party.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, I wouldn't be "miffed ". Maybe they have things planned to the minute,did it occur to you that this might screw up their plans? There will be other parties...and your dd is having a good time with her gparents,right? Let it go.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Ummmm...I personally would be irritated. However, I guess you shouldn't be. How far away is this amusement park? Can you go get her?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think you are making a bit of a big deal... but not too bad. There will be more birthday parties. She doesn't get to go to amusement parks often. Let her go and have fun =)
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think if you want to get her than okay otherwise it's not really their fault or job to take her home earlier than planned.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010