at what age did u feed ur little one honey?

i am a making honey mustuard pork roast for dinner and my little one is 13 months and never had honey should i avoid feeding her this meal???

ReeMarie77

Asked by ReeMarie77 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't remember for sure but I think it was around 2 1/2. I don't remember the recommended age. Can I come to your house for dinner? ; ) Sounds yummy!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't avoid it. I started giving my kids things like Honey & Peanut Butter around 11 months. Just make sure she eats a normal diet for the next day or so. That way if she has an allergic reaction you won't have any question as to what it is from, and you'll know from here on out that she has an allergy. That's really the only risk with Honey, is allergy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• they say to wait until they are 2, but i didnt. its because bees can carry botulism, a severe form of food poisoning. but it's pretty rare.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• THe risk is not for allergy of honey but as the mom above stated Botulism. You should wait until they are 2. I don't know how you are preparing it, but can you scrape some of the honey mustard sauce off? Maybe that would be a little safer. It does sound yummy ;)
    welte519

Answer by welte519 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It was after 2 years old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• not until 2

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I always thought it was after 1 for honey because of botulism.  First time I gave my son (now almost 3) honey he was 16 months old.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• ^^^ Agreed...babies under 1 don't have an immune system to fight botulism, nor is it built up enough to discourage an allergic reaction.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2010